Hop Along

• 4 Replies

chickenlicken

Hop Along
« on: April 29, 2009, 20:19 »
Hi all, We had our girls for nearly 4 weeks now and loving every minute, except......

Our Gold Star has been limping now for just over 2 weeks, we thought she had pulled a muscle but when it didn't get better after a week we took her to the vet who couldn't really find anything wrong but said she seemed slightly swollen at the very top of her leg.  He was happy for us to use Pain Relief gel on it. 

A week later and no improvement although she is very happy and energetically hopping/limping around the garden and eating well.  The vet said because she is so young (none of our 5 laying yet) if she has injured herself it may be permanent but I'm still really anxious and want to know she is ok, she doesn't show any sign of pain when we examine her.

Can anyone put my mind at rest or had a similar experience, do chickens injure themselves often as I would have thought they were pretty agile?

Would this prevent her from laying if she is stressed by it?

Thanks in advance

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: Hop Along
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 21:54 »
Hi chickenlicken! my paxo took a good 3-4 wks before she got rid of her limp! She too was swollen/warm on one of her hocks I put her on her own in a dog cage within the main run to restrict her movement which helped it heal! hope she feeling better soon x
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

danmegal

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 22:06 »
Sounds like she needs to rest that leg! Got to be cruel to be kind, restricted movement a good idea,  make sure she isn't jumping on or off things!

chickenlicken

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 22:42 »
Many Thanks and I know you're right, it just seems so mean when they all love to come out so much!!  Will keep her in the run and see how we go.

Legbar

• UKChicken - all a UK back yard chicken keeper needs!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 23:15 »
Our cream "limpbar" is prone to having a bad leg/foot - some suggest calcium suppliments but I've never tried it so can't vouch for whether it works or not.

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 28 queries.