Another blueberry question - flavour

• 8 Replies

JohnB47

Another blueberry question - flavour
« on: July 17, 2010, 21:52 »
Hi.

Just started picking from one of our blueberry plants (the other plants fruit are still green). The thing is, the fruit are pretty, well, 'mild' in flavour. I had some in a bowl with some apple and bananna and I couldn't really taste the blueberries at all. Perhaps the flavour will be better when used in a muffin mix.

They're currently both in pots and I plan to put them in the allotment (in appropriate compost) in a month or so, so the question is, will they have a better flavour next year?

Or is what I'm tasting now going to be it, period?

BTW, Trillium recommended waiting 'till all the dusty bloom was gone from the berries before picking them. I must confess that a recent gusty and rainy spell knocked a few off, so I decided to go ahead now, even though  they've still got the dusty bloom on. Am I picking too early?

Thanks.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Another blueberry question - flavour
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 21:59 »
If they aren't in ericaceous soil now then the flavour will improve next year tenfold. Dont forget to use the same feed too

Trill is right (she knows her stuff!), it pays to be patient with blueberries. They are a fab crop once established, with surprisingly little care needed.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 00:24 »
If you have your doubts about ripeness, taste one or two and see what you think. If you like the sweetness, then pick them. The bloom thing isn't a hard fast rule, just a guideline.

JohnB47

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 00:52 »
If they aren't in ericaceous soil now then the flavour will improve next year tenfold. Dont forget to use the same feed too

Trill is right (she knows her stuff!), it pays to be patient with blueberries. They are a fab crop once established, with surprisingly little care needed.

Thanks peapod (and Trillium).

I hope you are right.

They're still in the compost they were supplied in (3L pots) but I think they must be really pot bound by now - they've become quite big bushes. I've fed them twice this year with acid loving plant feed and always gave them rainwater.

Just wondered if anyone had real experience of the change in flavour between a young plant in a pot compared with a more mature one in the ground. What do you think Trillium?

Cheers.

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 12:20 »
I have 3 bushes: Patriot, Brigitta and Bluecrop all planted December 2005 as bare root one year old in a raised bed on the plot - they are all thriving and we get very good yields - so ground conditions are clearly ok.

However flavour has been disappointing, though looking back to last years notes i made some encouraging noises regarding flavour of Birgitta and Bluecrop. Picked a few Patriot (which is much earlier than the others) yesterday and there is some improvement! I dont think that it is just wishful thinking.....that there is some improvement in flavour as the plants mature.

They do have a long way to go before they approach the flavour of Canadian grown berries.

Also dont expect to get supermarket muffin flavour from your berries unless you can find some way of adding lots of "e"numbers to your ground - but would you want to?

Brian

Livinhope

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 13:24 »
We have three blueberry bushes which, because of our chalky soil, have to be grown in pots.  I have tried bbs' from different sources and the 'blueberry man' from Somerset comes to our farmers market.  In my experience blueberries always have a rather delicate flavour compared with most other soft fruits.

greenun

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 14:06 »
big soft juicy fruits are almost always tasteless,  too much water.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 16:25 »
3L pots aren't very big for the roots a blueberry plant will make if this is their permanent home, so if possible, get large pots, about 10L or so and replant one bush per pot, with gravel at the bottom for drainage and then lots of ericaceous compost and some rotted manure. Blueberries are essentially a bog-edge plant and do like their water, so some regular watering is necessary, but the roots don't like to sit in water hence the bottom gravel.

Again, flavour is in the variety, and as said, varieties need time to mature for flavour. Many of our Canadian varieties are available in the UK so it's down to individual taste on sweetness or tartness or mid-road flavour. That said, no plant makes nice fruit if root stressed, which is likely John's problem at the moment regardless of all the fertilizer and rainwater he provides.

And livinhope is right, blueberries don't have a grab-your-tastebuds tang that raspberries and such have. It is a more delicate flavour but once those bushes are in regular production, you'll see the difference. Patience, patience, patience  :happy:

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 19:18 »
I'll try not to worry that the birds have had most of ours this year then! Maybe next year they will have more room instead of being cramped up with loads of other stuff.

Next year......

xx
Blueberry question

Started by Eightball on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2015, 19:42
by LotuSeed
xx
Blueberry question

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post December 07, 2007, 14:35
by Selkie
xx
Yet another blueberry question!

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 23:57
by Trillium
xx
really daft blueberry question

Started by sunlover on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 17:27
by crackedflowerpots

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 37 queries.