Blueberry question

• 26 Replies

Lynne

Blueberry question
« on: October 03, 2007, 15:36 »
I have 5 blueberry plants, each a different variety. For now, I've got them at home in 1.5 litre pots as they are quite small. Next year I plan to put them in the allotment.

Do I need to protect them with fleece over winter whilst they are in the pots?
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

muntjac

Blueberry question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 15:39 »
i would . make a frame of bamboo canes and drape it over the top making sure it doesnt touch the leaves .... double wrap for me  :wink:
still alive /............

Lynne

Blueberry question
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 15:43 »
Thanks Munty :D

brucesgirl

Blueberry question
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 16:34 »
I don't protect mine at all, I have had them several years now, but my garden is sheltered. Don't cover them yet as they go a gorgeous red colour in the autumn, and look lovely when the autumn sun shines on them.
Remember they are lime-haters, so if you don't have an acid soil they will die in the ground (very quickly, as I've found!)

Trillium

Blueberry question
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 19:13 »
We don't cover ours at all and our winters are far worse than yours; that said, we get a lot of snow cover which helps insulate a bit. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother covering blueberries because they truly thrive in the wild with nothing at all.  8)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Blueberry question
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 21:27 »
Quote from: "brucesgirl"

Remember they are lime-haters, so if you don't have an acid soil they will die in the ground (very quickly, as I've found!)

Test your pH and add loads of... dare I say it peat to make it more acidic and use sequestrian tonic ( think that's what's it's called ) it's designed for Azaleas, Rhododendrons etc  again boosts pH
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

WG.

Blueberry question
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 21:36 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
We don't cover ours at all and our winters are far worse than yours; that said, we get a lot of snow cover which helps insulate a bit. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother covering blueberries because they truly thrive in the wild with nothing at all.  8)
Would the shorter days affect them Trillium?  Even Cornwall is further North than most of populated Ontario.  Toronto is on the same latitude as Florence in Italy

Trillium

Blueberry question
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 01:14 »
I live a 3 hour drive northwest of Toronto, which puts me into another growing zone climate. It's difficult to compare us to Cornwall or Florence as we're not near the water nor have the ocean currents affecting our climate. Blueberries grow abundantly in the wild about 5-8 hours north of us (North Bay) where the weather is even worse and much colder. The berries also grow well several hours south of us in an almost temperate climate. Blueberries even grow well in Alaska and the Northwest Territories (Yukon) where winter temps regularly go to -40 F and lower.

blueberries aren't really affected by length of days in growing seasons as they're a quick crop. They just need temps above freezing, acidic soil and some water. They prefer as much of the latter 2 as they can get, but will still grow without much water, but not in soil that isn't quite acidic. A way to test soil: if anything other than rhododendrons grow on the same soil, then it's not acidic enough for blueberries to grow well.

gobs

Blueberry question
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 11:28 »
It never occurred to me to cover mine, however, as it is now quite big and in a big pot, which I find dif to handle,also, the birds do not leave much of it in my garden, I wanted to plant it up on the lottie, I know they need acidic soil, but I thought, I could mend on that, now I'm discouraged, anybody tried?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Blueberry question
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 12:42 »
If you live near any conifer plantations the ground under the trees will be quite acidic

WG.

Blueberry question
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 13:59 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
blueberries aren't really affected by length of days in growing seasons as they're a quick crop.
Thanks Trillium - I never doubted the severity of your winter; I was only asking about day length.   I am further north than the top of Ontario; same latitude as Sitka, Alaska.

paintedlady

Blueberry question
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 16:29 »
Blueberries like:
Very acidic, peaty soil conditions.
Lots of water during the summer (they have shallow roots so don't take to dry conditions too well)
Some shelter.
Try to visualise blueberries in their natural habitat and see if what you had in mind on the plot looks remotely similar!

Provided it isn't some windswept chalky beach, why not try your plan out anyway.   I know no-one likes to lose plants, but blueberries aren't that expensive to replace - or better still, buy a couple of plants just for the allotment and see how they get on and then think about moving the blueberries from home!
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

brucesgirl

Blueberry question
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 16:46 »
We live in a hard water area, so we always have to water ours from the water-butt.
We did plant our first blueberry in the ground, as we didn't realise their liking for acid soil. One year and it was completely dead!! So ours are in pots now, in the garden. We only cover them when the fruits are ripening to keep the birds off.

mkhenry

Blueberry question
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 20:24 »
Quote from: "brucesgirl"
We live in a hard water area, so we always have to water ours from the water-butt.
We did plant our first blueberry in the ground, as we didn't realise their liking for acid soil. One year and it was completely dead!! So ours are in pots now, in the garden. We only cover them when the fruits are ripening to keep the birds off.

Blueberrys did need covering against heavy frost.Indeed it was considered to be the worst enemy,so much so that in the late 80s frost resist types were introduced.Almost all where based on the Ben stock.

Ben Lomond was the first so if yours are any of the following then frost,unless very very severe should not be a problem.
Ben nevis,Ben More, Ben sarick..Or indeed any other Ben.

However if its one of the others IE see below then protection from frost as Munty says is advisable.

Black reward. (needs a cold spring)
Boskoop giant.(not good up north)
Tsema(must be covered even when just very cold,not very good anywhere)
Laxto giant.(very susceptible to spring frost)
Wellington xxx.(hates late frosts.

So you see the answer to your question is.
Are your plants Ben type stock or not. If not what are they. The answer to these types of questions are often a little more compicated than a simple yes or no.

I very often hear people bemoaning that this plant or another did not do well,and they never remember that heavy early frost sometimes over a year ago. That frost shortend the life of that plant and reduced its crop.

I always think after reading all of his postings that Munty is never far wrong. So you must decide.Cover or not to cover.
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

gobs

Blueberry question
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 07:35 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"

Almost all where based on the Ben stock.

Ben Lomond was the first so if yours are any of the following then frost,unless very very severe should not be a problem.
Ben nevis,Ben More, Ben sarick..Or indeed any other Ben.

Balaton Ben?:wink:  :wink:  :wink:  

I thought the Ben's were blackcurrants :?  :?  :?

xx
Yet another blueberry question!

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 23:57
by Trillium
xx
Blueberry question

Started by Eightball on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2015, 19:42
by LotuSeed
xx
Another blueberry question - flavour

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 19:18
by tosca100
xx
really daft blueberry question

Started by sunlover on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 17:27
by crackedflowerpots

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 36 queries.