Drakes, imprinting & new homes

• 8 Replies

orchardlady

Drakes, imprinting & new homes
« on: September 23, 2010, 23:43 »
I bought three white Aylesbury ducklings in May and brought them up together, regrettably they are all drakes. I recently bought three Khaki Campbell girls. All six seem to be good pals and the drakes are just starting to realise the girls are girls. I've found new homes (hopefully) for two. My question is will they be OK? These two boys will go to separate homes. One to a little island in the middle of a stream with other ducks and the other to a home where there were two ducks and one died. I know that ducks do this 'imprinting' thing. Will they pine for their playfellows or will they settle OK into a new group. I would rather have them dispatched rather than have miserable lives. Any advice would be very welcome. So can two boys live happily together? (Im not sure if the home where one died remaining bird is a drake or a girl but will find out soon).

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Drakes, imprinting & new homes
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 08:44 »
if they are going to a new home with girls and no other drakes they should be ok, they should soon imprint their new owner and surroundings  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 08:50 »
They will be fine! I can tell that you care very much for these lads! It will take a little time for them to settle in, and they will have to establish a new pecking (or billing? lol) order, but ducks are very resilient and will get used to their new surroundings and new companions within a week or so. Whilst they can be more nervous than chickens, they are less likely to get stress-related health problems from a move.

If you are very worried, you could always tell the new owners that you will take them back if it does not work out (and try and find another home). I'm sure you have checked out these homes for suitability thoroughly, or you would not be letting them go there.

I'm assuming being large heavy ducks they are non-fliers, but if they can make a good effort, then I suggest a wing-clip to keep them in their new home until they are familiar with it would be a good idea.

Anyway, well done for finding such good homes - it is notoriously difficult with drakes.

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 16:13 »
Thanks so much for your reassurances. I think they will be happy in their new homes. Yes they are heavy birds but occasionally if given the wind in the right direction and a really good run up get of the ground about a foot. They do very inelegant landings and always look somewhat surprised at their magical ability to get off the ground. I will clip their wings.

EJCTM

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 18:41 »
That's one of the amusing and fun things about domestic ducks - watching their sheer joy in doing things - trying to fly, swimming and diving, billing holes in mud, eating peas!!

If they can only make it a foot high, I wouldn't worry about clipping, unless you think it necessary. I was thinking more like them getting into trees, on top of coops, etc and the new owners trying to get them down, or them trying to fly home and getting over fences, etc. I guess it depends on the set up of their new homes, how high the fences are, etc.

Did you ever see the film the Rescuers, with the albatross trying to take off and land? Hilarious and I think of it every time my ducks have a good flap and a jump.

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 18:58 »
I just about remember the Rescuers...mice right? I'm afraid I don't remember the albatross but I can well imagine it.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 20:33 »
here you are  :lol:

wA6pv0Hhl0I

EJCTM

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 21:06 »
Brilliant Joyfull, thanks for that!

I haven't seen it in years  :D

orchardlady

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 21:14 »
Just watched it on You Tube. Thanks Joyful, certainly made me chuckle, like EJCTM said my ducks takeoffs are about as professional as the albatrosses! :lol:

xx
Drakes on their own

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 18:00
by Spana
xx
Ducks and Drakes

Started by slowef on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2007, 22:54
by ssatt44
xx
Are little drakes doomed?

Started by chick with chicks on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 12:33
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Drakes getting a little too friendly with chickens!

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 10:47
by joyfull

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 34 queries.