Help! Blood everywhere....

• 29 Replies

Hawkins

Re: Help! Blood everywhere....
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 19:45 »
fingers crossed from me. good luck.

Foxy knows about prolapse she may have some more advice.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Chuckles

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 21:19 »
The cream I've been given is 'Aureomycin' which shes told me to put on daily round her vent but not to rub it in.  Shes also given me some 'Calcisol' which is for all my chucks to be added to their water for the next 3 days, then again in 5 weeks.

Yes the prolapse is still out, and she still has yellow gunky stuff coming from out of her vent.....feel terrible the vet seems to think it happened about 5 days ago but we only found it on Wednesday when we found her covered in blood....

henrys.hens

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 21:46 »
going on my experince of this i was worried and thought she might die but 1 week later she was fine and it scabbed up nicely and shes still with me today.
Good luck

Brambles

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 21:55 »
Oh Chuckles... So sorry for you and your girlie...  I hope that Betsy picks up overnight and she will be much improved in the morning.   We will look forward to a good report tomorrow.

Chuckles

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 10:18 »
Hi all....thanks for the good wishes.

Betsy has really perked up this morning, shes eating and drinking fine, which is always a good sign and her vent area is looking so much better than it did yesterday.  Bathed it in salty water then put the cream on as advised, she was as good as gold....bless her.

Things are looking a lot more promising....still keeping my fingers crossed!  :)

funky chicken

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 11:29 »
Hi Chuckles,
How's Betsy this morning?Our family are following her progress avidly,and hoping she(and you)feels better.
As for naming her........well our girls haven't even hatched yet and two of them have names already! ::)
Keep us posted,Sarah

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 12:55 »
Any news?

Chuckles

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 13:05 »
No change from this morning.......she's still doing ok  :) :)  Dug up half the flower beds....but who cares...she's allowed!!!!  :tongue2:  As long as she's happy...better get them in some kind of order though before hubby gets home....I doubt he'll be to happy!!!!   :mad:

Chuckles

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 08:02 »
Betsy update....

Not much improvement this morning, no change with her vent/prolapse just the same as yesterday - bathed it and applied the cream....no yellow discharge now it's just very smelly...poor girl!  :(

She's looking very sulky this morning...think she's after a bit more TLC....so one must oblige!!!!  :)  :)

Foxy

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 10:50 »
Betsy update....

Not much improvement this morning, no change with her vent/prolapse just the same as yesterday - bathed it and applied the cream....no yellow discharge now it's just very smelly...poor girl!  :(

She's looking very sulky this morning...think she's after a bit more TLC....so one must oblige!!!!  :)  :)

Chuckles is the prolapse still out? She really needs anti-biotics tommorrow, ask your vet for Baytril. I am rather concerned about the smell, it might indicate an internal infection :(

Chuckles

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 13:59 »
Hi Foxy,  the prolapse appears to be still out doesn't look like a normal vent should but then again it doesn't look like any of the prolapses I've seen pictures of - doesn't look like anything could be pushed back in???

The smell is more of a smelly poop and amonia smell, but was very strong this morning or maybe it was my nose which was a little more sensitive!  I've got some Baytril in which Flo has been on, I guess it wouldn't hurt to add it to Betsy's water too...but please tell me if I'm wrong.....

Foxy

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 14:06 »
I have had another look at the photo, and I think I see what you mean. It is a bit odd,does look like maybe necrotic material there. Pop the baytril in the drinking water fro both of them. I have found that the suspension formulation of baytril easier to administer though.

Chuckles

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 19:46 »
Sorry foxy...but whats the suspension formulation of baytril, and how's it administered??? ??? ???

Chuckles

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 07:59 »
Betsy update.....

She's a little perkier this morning...enjoying the little bit of sun we had first thing this morning!  Not much change with her vent area, apart from it seems a little bit pinky in areas where it was black before - really hoping thats a good sign!  She's getting a bit messed up with poop, so tried to give it a really good clean without making her sore, it's as if she can't shoot her poop out it's just falling out??? Started her with the Baytril in her water this morning.

Also, need to ask (not too experienced with poorly chucks!) is it normal for her to stop egg production whilst she's unwell, she hasn't laid in 5 days and she was laying daily, not that I want her to lay and damage her vent any further, just don't want her to have further problems caused by not laying.....

....sorry for waffling!!!!

Big Jen

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 09:37 »
Hi Chuckles, Been reading your post with interest because I have had a similar problem I think.
One of my little Dutch hens had a prolapse about 6 weeks ago and it was treated the best I could with Preparation H and Baytril. Her prolapse could be pushed back in though but kept coming back out! Had to wash her bottom every day because the poop was just running out. I was told to have her put to sleep because as soon as she started to lay eggs again it would prolapse again!
Any way I persevered because I didnt want to loose her and she didnt seem in too much discomfort. Her vent still looks different from the other hens, slightly inflamed and just a tiny bit protruding. She seems very happy in herself but I live in fear that she will lay an egg and push it back out. I will have her put to sleep if that happens.
I hope Betsy makes it, its got to be worth trying.
BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

xx
blood in ya egg

Started by ste23 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 10, 2012, 12:54
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Oh no!! Blood on egg again!!

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 19:22
by jinty1911
xx
blood in the egg

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 15:30
by muntjac
xx
blood

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2014, 19:05
by Jo57

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 28 queries.