Help! Blood everywhere....

• 29 Replies

Chuckles

Help! Blood everywhere....
« on: May 13, 2009, 18:51 »
Help needed!

I've just been to collect the eggs and check on my chucks and I have just found one of my warrens in the nesting box, beneath her is a puddle of blood and she is covered in blood all around her vent area.  I've tried to clean her up and it actually looks like underneath her vent the skin has ripped....I'll try and get a picture.  No idea what to do, shes just stood still with her neck in  and her eyes shut.

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
Re: Help! Blood everywhere....
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 18:59 »
get her to a vet fast i dont have chicks yet but that dont sound good x x hope she is ok

Vember

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 19:00 »
HI Chuckles

Does it look like her vent is sticking out rather than in? Or is there just a rip?

Is it still bleeding?

Sarah :)

Chuckles

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 19:08 »
Hi Vember,

The top part of her vent appears to be sticking out, it looks like the skin has torn apart but not deep - if you understand what I mean.

It doesn't appear to be still bleeding, the blood that I've cleaned off her seemed to be very clotted....I'm still trying to get a picture.

Chuckles

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 19:19 »
Apologies if anyone is eating
Photo003 (Small).jpg

Vember

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 21:31 »
Doesn't look very nice does it :)

Presuming there was an egg laid?

I had one similar a few months ago, almost like a prolapse but not fully out. I bathed her botty and got her all cleaned up then gently pushed the sticking out part back in.
Some people use hemorrhoid cream to reduce the swelling.

Might be best if you can keeping her away from your other birds as they may peck at her :)

Sarah :)

Chuckles

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 21:45 »
Thanks Sarah

It doesn't look as angry looking now, but it does look like there is a small tear on the top of her vent - could explain all the blood.  I think she did lay an egg as there was one smeared with blood and a little bit more blood in one of the other nesting boxes.  She appeared to pick up a little too earlier she went for a wander round the garden and she wasn't looking so sorry for herself - poor little mite...

I've separated her from the others and put her in with my silkie who's recovering from an op for an impacted crop so hopefully they can recoup together...we've re-named it sick-bay!!!

Just been to check on them and they seem settled for the night...hope it's settled down in the morning.  If it's still swollen I'll try some prep h on her, I was wondering if using an antiseptic spray on it would help???

Vember

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 21:48 »
Think I'd be worried about the stinging factor with the antiseptic :)

Chuckles

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 22:16 »
I'm glad I asked.....bit of a sensitive area! I know I wouldn't be to chuffed!!! :)

Chuckles

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 07:29 »
No blood this morning and she seems to have had a normal poop - cleaned her botty again, she had what I can only describe as a yellow poo looking gunk coming from her vent.  Round her vent isn't looking as swollen as yesterday but had what looked like dried blood around it but after cleaning her up it hasn't come off - thought it may have been bruising.

Keeping her with flo today....shes rumaging around the flower beds at the mo!!!

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 11:17 »
keep the area clean with salty water twice a day, you could use something gentle like germolene to keep the area clean and moist. I would be tempted to give antibiotics as well as metacam from the vet  to keep imflammation and irritation down, not aspirin as she has had a bleed from somewhere.

Chuckles

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 17:32 »
Just got home from work and shes looking very sorry for herself, she has got quite a lot yellow runny gunk coming from her vent, going to bathe it in salty water not sure if it's still inflamed.  Taking Flo to the vets tomorrow morning for her stitches out so I'm going to take my poorly girl along too to be checked out.

Just hope it nothing nasty....

Chuckles

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 17:43 »
Hi all...been to the vets this morning my poorly girl has got a prolapse and it's pretty bad, won't hold itself back in and the skin around it has died (the bit I thought was bruising) so putting a stitch in it wouldn't do anything.  The vet said she doesn't hold much hope of it getting better but she's given me some cream to put on it daily, but if there is no improvement by Wednesday/Thursday I've got to take her back and I might have to let her go  :( :( :(  She didn't have a name til this morning, hubby didn't think it was a good idea to give them names ( my pure breeds all have names!) so I wouldn't get attached - who needs names!  But I thought if she's going to go to the big chuck run in the sky then it's only right she has a name.....so it's Betsy!!!!

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 19:38 »
arhh bless ya lets hope she pulls through keeping me fingers crossed for her poor little lady  :(

Foxy

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 19:42 »
what cream were you given?? anything else? Is the prolapse still out?

xx
blood

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2014, 19:05
by Jo57
xx
blood???? in poo???

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 10:07
by matilda duck
xx
help! blood in poo

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 15:29
by Foxy
xx
Blood on egg!

Started by melc1962 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 15:58
by melc1962

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 31 queries.