How many corn plants

• 17 Replies

snowdrops

Re: How many corn plants
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 07:07 »
I always use root trainers for my sweetcorn, they do fine for me, also use them for runner beans & broad beans
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

lettice

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 08:30 »
I always sow my sweetcorn in first week of April in the greenhouse. I have grown for many years now Golden Bantam.
Find they germinate after a week and by early May, well now are about eight inches or so high and ready to plant out. Will be planting out mine next week.
Have saved my own seed last few years and happy once again this year that all of them germinated and produced lovely strong plants.
I also sow some more in the greenhouse now and plant them out in June in a raised bed and where some of my Broad beans have been. They soon catch up with the early ones and you are picking a couple of weeks later than the earlier sown ones.
Always found germination of sweetcorn to be quick and reliable and being strong plants they just adapt easily to the move outside.
I have always grown them in long six inch paper tubes, water them well before transplanting, pulling off the wet paper. I also pull a little soil around their bases on planting out and harden it down carefully. Although they do grow top heavy and never fall over, I'm sure that helps a lot.
All they need is sun, regular watering and a good knock as you walk by each day to produce a great summer crop that looks great, tastes great and I am always proud of.

brittanyjohn

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 10:34 »
I like to grow mine in plastic milk bottles cut in half & grow them in a unheated poly tunnel until mid may then plant outside. I cut 4 slits down the milk bottles which makes taking them out very easy and no disturbance to the roots. I am doing 80 this year as you cant beat a fresh corn on the cob with good butter & cold cider later on in the year :)
DSCF6197.JPG

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
How do I tell the difference between sprout plants from cabbage plants

Started by sushi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 20:47
by sushi
xx
corn on the cob

Started by Nogger on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 06:45
by green fingers
clip
Best Corn Ever

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 19:15
by Totty

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 41 queries.