Asafoetida...

• 21 Replies

Growster...

Asafoetida...
« on: November 19, 2014, 15:48 »
We saw an offer the other day, and spices were something like 2 for a few pence (not)!

So to get another one, I picked up some asafoetida, and keep wondering if it really is doing its job, or am I just 'believing' it does!

It has a very enigmatic aroma, which is quite attractive, but perhaps some of you experts may be able to enlighten me!

Mrs Bee

Re: Asafoetida...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 15:54 »
What do you mean by doing its job, Mr Growster.

I have some in the drawer for some Indian recipes by that nice Atul Kocher. But as yet I haven't used it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 15:56 »
I've never used it so looked it up.
Wikipedia says
In 2009, researchers reported that the roots of Asafoetida produce natural antiviral drug compounds that demonstrated potency against the H1N1 virus in vitro and concluded that "sesquiterpene coumarins from F. assa-foetida may serve as promising lead compounds for new drug development against influenza A (H1N1) viral infection"

Might come in handy with the recent outbreak of bird flu   :wacko:

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 05:00 »
What do you mean by doing its job, Mr Growster.

I have some in the drawer for some Indian recipes by that nice Atul Kocher. But as yet I haven't used it.

It says on the label, that it 'enhances' flavour, especially in curries etc, but what I can't see is why a curry needs any further enhancing! There's quite enough spice there already in my opinion!

We put some in a pork casserole yesterday evening, with some Italian Seasoning, and it did taste pretty good, but then I use Italian Seasoning in most things, so whether it was 'enhanced' or not I'm not sure!

(Mrs Growster is always in charge of cooking the main meals, I assist up to the level of the pasta and perhaps scrambled egg level..;0)

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 05:04 »
I've never used it so looked it up.
Wikipedia says
In 2009, researchers reported that the roots of Asafoetida produce natural antiviral drug compounds that demonstrated potency against the H1N1 virus in vitro and concluded that "sesquiterpene coumarins from F. assa-foetida may serve as promising lead compounds for new drug development against influenza A (H1N1) viral infection"

Might come in handy with the recent outbreak of bird flu   :wacko:

Marvellous, Mum!

I have to admit to being awake half the night though, but that may be because I was so exited at having reduced our electricity bill by £23.00 a month...!

As for bird flu, I suppose we all have to hope that when the geese are overhead from Finland or wherever they come from, they just carry on and honk somewhere else;0)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:11 »
I use asafoetida a bit as I like to cook curries.  It is used for flavour, but also is highly regarded for its medicinal benefits.  Try searching under its indian name of Hing and you will find it is used for all manner of ailments.

Given the current fuss over tumeric and the health benefits it has, I am inclined to think the ancient system of Ayurvedic medicine probably has some lessons to teach us  ;)   I use asafoetida by dropping it in hot oil at the start of a curry, along with a few whole spices, stirring for a few seconds, then dumping the onions in on top before the spices burn.  It tastes great, so if there are added health benefits, apart from the warm glow of satisfaction having devoured a proper home prepared curry, its all good  :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 08:26 »
I was so exited at having reduced our electricity bill by £23.00 a month...!

That's fantastic! well done :)

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 09:14 »
Many thanks, News!

That's the way Mrs Growster starts a curry, so I'll tell her!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 09:15 »
I was so exited at having reduced our electricity bill by £23.00 a month...!

That's fantastic! well done :)

It's a post that would take a month to deal with, Kristen, but thank you!

(Also noticed my typo in exited - supposed to excited, but I did go out of my way..;0)

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 18:07 »
Hing!  From Iran and afghanistan I think.  I use it in Bombay potato mostly but I expect you can put it in all sorts,of middle eastern dishes.  Have a gurgle.  I think it's found in poultry spice too!  I'm not,sure I would add it to Italian dishes  :)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 20:03 »
I was just about to say Hing.  Used in authentic curries.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 21:22 »
Hing!  From Iran and afghanistan I think.  I use it in Bombay potato mostly but I expect you can put it in all sorts,of middle eastern dishes.  Have a gurgle.  I think it's found in poultry spice too!  I'm not,sure I would add it to Italian dishes  :)

Mmmm I thought it sounded like that terrorist they were trying to catch!   ;) ;)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 08:57 »
Asafoetida is the stinkiest spice I've ever come across  :tongue2:

I use star anise a lot. It's supposed to be the active ingredient in 'Tamiflu' so I use it plenty in the winter  ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 09:39 »
Asafoetida is the stinkiest spice I've ever come across  :tongue2:

I use star anise a lot. It's supposed to be the active ingredient in 'Tamiflu' so I use it plenty in the winter ;)

Ooooh, I didn't know that!  I've got some, but never know what to do with it!  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 11:49 »
You can add star anise to your hot water drink GA  :) 

Hing does pong!  It has a sickly smell. I once tipped up a casserole full of Bombay potato I'd made at cookery class all over the front seat of my car  :nowink:

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 37 queries.