weekend only watering

• 14 Replies

VickyR

weekend only watering
« on: June 05, 2007, 12:58 »
Hi

Unfortunately my allotment is in a different city to my work  :cry:
after two years of commuting I am resigned to weekend only allotmenting with occasional week day afternoons and time off  :D  There are currently no allotments available where I work and as we reclaimed our plot from scratch I am quite attached to it!

Having mulched, does anyone have further advice about how to prevent total veg melt down?  Unfortunately my allotment friends are rather busy at the moment with ill family members so none of us can guarantee to regularly water for each other.

Can anyone with more experience tell me which crops I should be concentrating my efforts on?  I've abandoned tomatoes/courgettes/lettuces for this year on the plot.
When it gets a little hotter I will be commuting back in the week to give the fruit bushes a good soak.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
weekend only watering
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 14:02 »
I think we worry too much at times about watering. If we water too much, it discourages roots from putting down depth. They just hang about on top where the water is.

Remember the record hot August a few years back? We went away for 2 weeks, no one watered and we came back to enormous marrows and nothing dead. The potato crop that year was fine also.

There were things that may have benefited from a drop of water, such as the salady stuff, but these were fine anyway.

And I have NEVER watered my fruit bushes.

DD
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

VickyR

weekend only watering
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 14:24 »
Thanks DD... this has inspired me to put some courgettes in then to see what will happen.  Perhaps I am a bit soft on my goosie bushes as well! :oops:

Thanks for the advice
Vicky :D

muntjac

weekend only watering
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 15:17 »
you can use the plastic soda bottle method of watering .fill 2 litre pop bottles with watewr .tighten the tops till they just have a very slow drip /now put them down on the plants near to the stems and leave them the weather will do the rest with high and low pressure they will drip on for a few days
still alive /............

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
weekend only watering
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 15:53 »
Quote from: "VickyR"
Thanks DD... this has inspired me to put some courgettes in then to see what will happen.  Perhaps I am a bit soft on my goosie bushes as well! :oops:

Thanks for the advice
Vicky :D

Your problem with courgettes is that if you leave them for a week, you'll have marrows!

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
weekend only watering
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 16:56 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
fill 2 litre pop bottles with watewr .tighten the tops till they just have a very slow drip /now put them down on the plants near to the stems

Sorry if this is a stupid question but do you mean stick them in the soil upside down?

I've been tempted to buy a couple of watering wizards which you stick in a bottle and then into the soil but your idea sounds the same.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

WG.

weekend only watering
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 16:59 »
Quote from: "little sweetpeas"
Sorry if this is a stupid question but do you mean stick them in the soil upside down?
Yes, upside down

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
weekend only watering
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 17:13 »
Thanks WG

I've got a 3 litre squash bottle, do i just unsrew the cap a little and do i need to put in holes in the cap or that make the water come out too quickly.

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
weekend only watering
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 17:24 »
I've got it - such a great idea, thanks muntjac

Bottle now upside down in garden with three children sat watching it.

frazzy

weekend only watering
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 10:18 »
fantastic idea go go munty
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

WG.

weekend only watering
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 10:31 »
You might also want to put some gravel in it so that it doesn't blow away when empty.

wellingtons

I agree with the others ...
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 10:48 »
... that weekend only watering is perfectly fine and that your problem is going to be keeping up with the picking ...  :D

Soaking your allotment once a week or on a Friday night and Sunday night (so twice a week) should keep pretty much everything going other than shallow rooted salad crops.  To be honest even in the hottest weather I only water my plot twice a week anyway.

The leaky bottle trick is a great idea.  I also make indentations around my veggies, so that when I water, all the water goes to that particular plant rather than the surrounding weeds.  And this method is perfect for courgettes.  Build up a little hummock and plant them in an indentation in the top ... perfick!

Trillium

weekend only watering
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 15:52 »
I was just going to suggest Welly's tip about building little walls of dirt around each plant to catch and hold any water or rainfall so it directs it where needed. Otherwise, don't get too worried about watering too often. Gardeners tend to baby their plants a bit too much.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
weekend only watering
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 19:49 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
I was just going to suggest Welly's tip about building little walls of dirt around each plant to catch and hold any water or rainfall so it directs it where needed.

That's what we do with thirsty plants.  We've always called it a "bund"

VickyR

weekend only watering
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 12:02 »
fantastic!  Lots of stuff to keep me busy this weekend then - thanks everyone.  Next problem is "visitors" looking to nick equipment/plants etc, apparently they were decent enough to visit my plot yesterday according to my neighbours. Once water retaining measures sorted I'll get onto the pests of the human variety with spiky plants, manure and Indiana Jones style traps! :D   Thanks again

Vic

xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Going out this weekend

Started by Christian on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post January 28, 2007, 18:45
by muntjac
xx
Is this going to be a big weekend

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 17:37
by Irene
xx
Is this going to be big weekend?

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 17:04
by BostonInbred

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 29 queries.