Paprika, Cayenne, Chilli powders ?

• 10 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Paprika, Cayenne, Chilli powders ?
« on: October 15, 2010, 13:03 »
Could someone out there clear the haze in my brain about these three seemingly related spices and what to use when?      :unsure:     Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Paprika, Cayenne, Chilli powders ?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 13:10 »
well I think they are all chilli powder ...just some are hotter than others.

To my tastebuds paprika is milder and cayenne is hotter.

Chilli powder is an unknown as it depends what chilli pepper they used to make it :unsure:
some are labelled mild, or hot to give you an indication.........but there's only one way to find out...add some to the recipe you are making, and taste.......add more if you want it hotter :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 13:23 »
I think (well, my tastebuds do) that paprika is somewhat sweet. I could be wrong but it seems like it to me and I use it in sausage casserole, amongst other things  :)  Smoked paprika is lovely

I like cayenne and use it in my spicy cheese scones

Chilli powder can be mild or blisteringly hot, depending on what chilli is used, as has been said  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 14:16 »
Paprika is sweeter, one is even called sweet paprika. Even the smoked or hotter one isn't hot. I only really use paprika in goulash for the flavour, other than that if I want chilli I want spice and use cayenne or chilli.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 22:48 »
They're all just ground up dried peppers of one variety or another. I think paprika is a blend of chilli and bell pepper (might even be pure bell pepper, not sure), whereas chilli powder might be any variety of chilli or a blend of different varieties, and cayenne is a particular variety of chilli. And even within each type, you can get huge variation in the degree of heat, because even if you use the same blend of the same varieties, they'll still vary in heat from one season to another. When you buy them in the shops, chilli or paprika is usually available in hot or mild varieties.

Mild paprika is usually a fairly sweet sort of taste and even mild chilli can have quite a bite if you use much of it. I do like pimenton or smoked paprika in goulash, but it is quite a strong taste and it does overwhelm everything else a bit.

Cayenne is always reckoned to be a fairly hot chilli, yet I've grown them at home for 3 or 4 years now, and they always seem to come out pretty mild. This year I grew Cayenne plus a Thai chilli (SuperChilli) so I'm going to experiment with drying/grinding them separately or blended.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 11:40 »
Thanks for all those informative replies.  :)  Cheers,   Tony.

chrissie B

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 16:01 »
we get paprica dip here and its fantastic but carnt find the greeek recipie for it as its a bought one its not in any cook books , its tomatoe based tangy and it has greel cheese in it im so going to miss it any recipies out there would be greatfully recieved
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 11:23 »
Chrissie, could you not slip your favourite Greek chef a few bottles of Methos for the recipe?  As a regular Greek Island holidaymaker, I have never heard of it, but shall ask on our next holiday, (wish we were there now).   Cheers,   Tony.

chrissie B

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 15:07 »
the dip is so good its a lovly colour and in the big supermarkets its sold loose but the best one is ambrosia brand just look for the tzatziki and it wont be far , im going to have a go will get kev to read out the ingredients  off the pack , carnt find it in any recipie books , i use in cooking as my secret ingredient  oh now every one knows lol
chrissie b

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 15:18 »
Asda do a cottage cheese with chilli and tomato in, which is not too far off ;)
The texture is different so you may want to whizz it first.

Sometimes, but only sometimes alas! my local Lidl stocks a fresh cream cheese and chili/tomato spread which isn't bad.....................

chrissie B

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 20:54 »
i suppose if you add the paprica to this as well as a bit of crumbled fetta and extra garlic it wouldnt be too far from the mark , i must get this correct as i use a lot of it , tomatoe and sausage with pasta and other bits , just a spoonful in there makes a world of difference .
chrissie b

xx
cayenne pepper

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post November 25, 2007, 19:09
by gobs
xx
Chilli jam

Started by Faz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post November 08, 2008, 23:03
by SG6
xx
Chilli Jam

Started by rugbymad40 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 20:08
by Val H
xx
Chilli's

Started by Caretaker on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post August 02, 2006, 17:43
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 33 queries.