Christmas Eve buffet ideas?

• 7 Replies

Elcie

Christmas Eve buffet ideas?
« on: November 27, 2010, 19:38 »
I will be having some family and friends over on Christmas Eve for some mulled wine and a buffet.  Does anyone have any great recipes that they use for buffet items?

If anyone has any healthy additions to the buffet I would be grateful too!  I know I won't worry too much at Christmas but I don't want to throw all my hard work away.  When you consider that one mince pie has about a quarter of my daily allowance of weight watchers points in it you can see how easy it would be to go too far overboard at Christmas!

All ideas, healthy or not, gratefully received  :D

madcat

Re: Christmas Eve buffet ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 20:37 »
Last year, we did drinks and 'nibbles' between Christmas and new year for the (short) lane plus a bit, and I'm thinking about the same again this year. No kids - I think a common babysitter was arranged for the street!  The ladies generally pounced on the sticks of raw veggies (carrots, celery, cucumber .... cant think what else ... but they looked pretty standing up in tumblers) and the dishes of olives (ooooh - the kids dont like these so I never get to have them etc).  The men hoovered up cocktail sausages roasted in a honey and wholegrain mustard glaze even when they were really too hot to eat.  I did things like mini bhagis (sp) and chickpea dip and  little kebabs and some prawn toast ...but those were were the hits of the night.  Hmmm... together with mulled wine and lots of good hooky ale!

PS  top tip I was given, if you have or can borrow a large slow cooker for the mulled wine, it makes things so easy.  fill it in the kitchen, plug it in on the 'bar', whereever is most convenient and it heats up gently, no risk of boiling over when you forget and the low setting keeps it warm all night.  Excellent!  Worked a dream.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 20:38 »
Chickpea fritters (falafel), courgette & fennel seed patty cakes, roasted veg filo tartlets, cheese & grapes, chinese style things (prawn toast, mini spring rolls etc).

I'd have thought it best to avoid anything too heavy or too much meat, as you'll be doing that the following day (and the days after for cold meat!)

Hope it goes well.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 22:40 »
my sister inlaw done a mulled cider that went down very well, but for me pork pie with piccalilli has got chrimbo writen all over it :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

catllar

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 17:10 »
Something that appears here year round is Pa amb Tomaquet. Basically rough country bread lightly toasted then rubbed with a clove of garlic and then drizzled with olive oil and rubbed over again with a ripe tomato, if you can find such a thing in winter, and then a sprinkle of salt. This can be topped with dried ham or anchovies or even goat cheese. If I'm doing it I cut the bread into  bitesize bits. Can also top off the oil and garlic with a bit of ratatouille (freezer or bottled) Not traditional UK Christmas fare but it tastes good.

chrissie B

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 15:10 »
i have to say if i see one more add for party nibbles i will explode its great to still make your own
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 16:29 »
home cooked honey glazed ham thinly sliced.
various quiches
local pork pies
few chips (go on you know you want to)
Best of luck
R

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 17:43 »
Home made biscotti are scrummy
filo parcels with brie & cranberry, mincemeat, samosas
prunes wrapped in bacon,
bruschetta, blinis with smoked salmon,
few teeny sarnies, houmous & dips, garlic mushrooms, stuffed with breadcrumbs & butter
mini mince pies, chicken satay skewers, fish goujons, chicken goujons
does that help - I'm hungry now....  :(

xx
ideas for vegetarian Christmas dinner

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post December 09, 2012, 20:45
by Madame Cholet
xx
Chilli's - ideas

Started by stickmeup on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post September 26, 2013, 16:09
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Turnips - ideas please

Started by madcat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 10:59
by arugula
xx
Chili ideas

Started by Biscombe on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post July 20, 2007, 18:28
by wildeone

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 28 queries.