Leeks

• 67 Replies

shed head

• Experienced Member
Leeks
« on: April 21, 2013, 07:24 »
I sown some leeks a few weeks ago.  They germinated pretty quick but they dont appear to have come on much.
They look like small blades of grass.  They are in a cool bedroom that just gets sun in the morning.
Am i doing something wrong?
Thanks

richy

• Experienced Member
Re: Leeks
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 07:50 »
put them out in a cold frame if you have one to get more light.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 07:55 »
Leeks are like blades of grass to start with, but they don't need to be inside.  In fact it will be too warm for them, so move them outside as soon as you can.  They are very hardy seedlings.  Lots of people sow direct outside.

They do get going and bulk up, but you are only looking at an ideal of pencil thickness before transplating into their final growing position, so as long as they are not stretched by the lack of light and too warm conditions, they should come good  :)

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 08:13 »
Leeks are like blades of grass to start with, but they don't need to be inside.  In fact it will be too warm for them, so move them outside as soon as you can.  They are very hardy seedlings.  Lots of people sow direct outside.

They do get going and bulk up, but you are only looking at an ideal of pencil thickness before transplating into their final growing position, so as long as they are not stretched by the lack of light and too warm conditions, they should come good  :)

New Shoot what is the rough time scale from germination to planting out ... my leeks last year took months to reach the thickness of a pencil and they are not looking good now ... they are out during the day and in the greenhouse at night .... I have sowed them in trays like DD's plan.
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 08:18 »
They are a bit of a slow burn Ally.  Most people look to plant out after the first early potatoes have been lifted, so May or June.  Mine are only just germinating as I sowed late due to the bad weather - I reckon it will be well into June before they go out  ;)

I find they look weedy for ages, then suddenly get going.  A deep root run is essential for starting them in pots, which is why DD's cat litter tray method works so well.  I also feed mine a liquid feed after the first few weeks to keep them growing.  You need something high in nitrogen for leaf growth  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 08:34 »
Agree with NS - they can seem to get stuck at a stage where they look more like young chives, but a liquid feed does seem to help them thicken up enough for planting out - best to try to time it so they don't outgrow their container before they (and you) are ready to plant them out though.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 15:50 »
Agree with NS - they can seem to get stuck at a stage where they look more like young chives, but a liquid feed does seem to help them thicken up enough for planting out - best to try to time it so they don't outgrow their container before they (and you) are ready to plant them out though.

No fear there I just kick them over!!!  :mad:

So have started again .... they should be in time with the earlies that are now probably second earlies due to weather!!  So cross with myself ..... was getting all the seedlings in as it looks like rain! :(

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 16:03 »
That's the problem I've always had with leeks -  getting them past the blade of grass stage that my first sowings are at right now.

Might try a little feed then.
Leeks for website.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 16:09 »
I suspect I might not be the only one who think yours are actually looking rather splendid for this time of year DBG!  :unsure:  :lol:

As Ally has said I will probably have to find a new place for mine when the time comes because there's no way my early spuds will be out by the end of June (same last year but that was slow growth rather than late planting.)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 16:11 »
I suspect I might not be the only one who think yours are actually looking rather splendid for this time of year DBG!  :unsure:  :lol:

I'm chuffed to bits so far!! :lol:

The next sowing is sprouting now too.

I'm thinking I will run out of room on the plot this year though! :unsure:

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 16:21 »
DBG is that a tomato or mushroom container??  so jealous of your leeks ... it would seem it was a good thing kicking mine over, they definatley didnt look anything like yours!!!

shed head

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 16:36 »
Could someone suggest what to feed my spindly leeks woth :(

chris172

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 16:36 »
wow.. those look very perky Devonbarmygradener...

Ours look like grass and are flat laying over  :(
Lots to do, especially digging!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 17:00 »
Yep, mine are definitely more chive-like and spindly than that :(

Beetroot queen

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 18:13 »
Mine are a bit behind, blades of grass would do fine for me. They will come on.  :blush:

xx
Leeks - Help, Help

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 11:18
by little sweetpeas
xx
Leeks

Started by MICK WARREN on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 05, 2008, 15:35
by slowcompost
xx
Leeks

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 23, 2011, 15:57
by savbo
xx
Leeks

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

54 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 18:39
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 34 queries.