She keeps escaping!!!!

• 7 Replies

Little Devil

She keeps escaping!!!!
« on: March 11, 2010, 20:11 »
Hello all

Despite many attempts to keep her in, my appenzeller (named Little Devil) keeps escaping.  I have clipped her wings so far back she is lucky she has any wing left, but try as we might she will not stay in her pen.  We can't see where she's getting out.  Each time we put her back she squawks like a man hen, paces up and down the wire as if she's wearing jack boots, goes over toward the compost bins, jumps up and the next thing we know she's parading up and down the length of the garden shed strutting like a peacock.  She then jumps down into the garden letting out a triumphant 'I'm out again' squawk and off she goes.  Trying to get her back is like trying to catch the Roadrunner.

Any ideas anyone?  I have to say though that I find them so funny to watch but the Little Devil is worrying me because we have hawks flying around and I'm worried she's going to get taken off by one of them.

Also, are appenzellers usually so noisy?   ::)

grinling

Re: She keeps escaping!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 20:41 »
Could you net over the top?

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 20:42 »
Move the compost bins

Little Devil

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 20:51 »
LOL.  I do have netting over the top and the compost bins have very high, sheer sides.

batcatz

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 00:42 »
What a little devil.   :) Can you watch her to see where she gets out?  There must be a gap.  :)

What is she housed in? 

Also be careful of foxes. If she can get out they can get in.   :(

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 08:37 »
there has got to be a gap thats for sure . i would definately remove the  bins even if they do have steep sides . i had one escape into the guys garden behind me through a tiny hole under the fence i always imagines was too small . I was on crutches at the time and spend 30 minutes chasing her with the help of my neighbour who unfortunately was too scared to pick her up . Obviously this hole has since been filled . When you finally figure out hows she doing it im sure it will be  a case of " DOH!! how on earth did i miss that "

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 09:13 »
You say you have clipped her wings - but did you do one or both? The idea is that you do one and this should off balance her. Mind you mine could still fly up over 3 feet to get ontop of their coup and use that as a launch pad so perhaps this is what yours are doing with the compost bins - in which case remove the bins  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Thrift

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 09:26 »
We too have an escape artist ! Spent the whole of last week netting the yard, have also clipped her wings but still she gets out.

It might get to 4 o'clock and we're just congratulating ourselves on winning the battle at last when she strolls into the garden !  :lol: :lol:

I can't imagine what it's all cost ...... it would be cheaper to buy a Faberge egg  :D

xx
Lola Keeps escaping

Started by warrenlovinmama on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 15:44
by Lewjam
xx
Escaping chicken

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 20:14
by Jo57
xx
a little frustrated cheer me up please - escaping chucks

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 14, 2010, 15:58
by ehs284

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 36 queries.