Eglu cube

• 11 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Eglu cube
« on: July 28, 2010, 03:36 »
I know there is another thread at the moment about eglu but I didn't want to highjack it.
I'm worried that the red mite infestation will be along any day I have a wooden coop loads of places for them to hide and a  felt roo. So a real nightmare when the inevitable happens. So as a preemptive measure I'm thinking about the eglu cube. expensive asthey are I think the peace of mind it will give me outways the cost. does anyone else have one and are they as good as they look. they do look a bit tacky the insulation sounds like a nice touch for the winter (if it's anything like the last )  they cost 425 without the run but mine are out all day so the extra for the run is not worth it.
if anyone has any pics of the inside of an eglu cube I'd like to see them the website seems to just show the outsides of the products. sorry for the essay but Id just like some input from someone who has used one rather than the no doubt selected glowing reviews on the website.   thanks in advance
 :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:40 by wolverine »
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Eglu cube
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 06:06 »
There are some people on here that have the cube so hopefully they will be along shortly to tell you all about theirs. I have an eglu which I think is wonderful, easy to clean and now that I have replaced the wooden roosting bars with the new plastic ones even better. All the new eglus and cubes come with these plastic ones as standard now.
If you click on this link you will see at the bottom of the page a link to request a brochur - download that and on page 6 of the brochure you will find photos of the insides of a cube  :D.
http://www.omlet.co.uk/misc/brochure.php

Hope this helps,
Joyfull xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 08:46 »
Thanks for that joy didn't see that link. do you think the eglu is worth the money? you said in one post you have a red mite problem is that in the eglu?  I've not seen a red mite yet but I just would feel better if I had an easy clean coop. I think they look a bit rubbish compared to my nice wooden coop

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 08:57 »
No red mite in my eglu they are in some of my wooden coups  :(. You can still get red mites in eglus but the beauty of them is that they can be taken apart and just cleaned off very easily with no hidden nooks for the nasty little blighters - although I would advise against doing this on the ground where you keep your chickens as red mites can live without feeding for weeks  >:(. I am saving up for two of the arks made from recycled plastic (each about the same price as a cube but they are bigger and will house around twenty birds in each). I love the eglus (and do think the eglus are prettier than the cubes but in turn the cubes are prettier than the ones I am getting  ::)  :lol:) however do remember that these items are very desirable, hold their resale value and therefor can be much sort ofter by thieves so do try to make sure that yours is in a well protected area.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 19:43 »
I have an Eglu cube and cleaning it is a cinch. I have arthritis so it is important for me to have a raised coop as I can't bend or kneel easily. The cube comes apart easily and I soak the roosting bars in a growbag tray- this loosens any stuck on poo.
The insulation is very effective against the heat and the eggs are always cool when I collect them in the afternoon. (only had it since April so can't comment about insulation in winter)
I do use a slurry of diatom on the ends of roosting bars as I have read so many horror stories about redmite that I tend to be very cautious.
It's true that many wooden houses appear more attractive however personally I would trade looks for practicality any day.
Hope this helps,
Jane

Devonian

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 21:53 »
I was interested to see this post as I have spent all afternoon trying to tackle red mite in my hen houses.  First time I have ever had a problem but found so many hiding around the coops's nooks and crannies.  Had to unscrew it all and found them in so many places that I have actually BURNT one and moved my girls somewhere else. 

That actually made me think about the alternatives.  I can't think of anything other than an eglu but like the thread says, has anyone had a problem with red mites here? 

I see mention was made of a recycled plastic 'ark' - has anyone got any more info on these?   

Thanks!

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 09:07 »
I've had my Eglu for 2.5 years and never had a red mite in it. I had a good look in there yesterday, stuck my head through the egg port door and had a good nosey, with my specs on o'course  :D    I had the bars out for washing the other day in a bucket of hot water with a little bit of washing up liquid in and no sign of anything on the ends etc. 

Jae Dawn

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 09:49 »
  I love my Classic Eglu.  My fantasy is a Cube.  Started saving £10 a week for it so figure I can get one next year.  The used ones are blastedly expensive too!  They do hold their value I have watched like an eagle on the prices of the classic and cube and the price really hasn't dropped for used ones in the 10 months I have been watching it. 

Granted they aren't as attractive and a lovely wooden one painted any colour you want but ... the practicality of it for someone like myself who loves chickens and lives in a very small garden and works a regular week a couple of chickens in an easy to keep clean Eglu is a god send! 

And thanks Jane I like that idea of soaking in the growbag plastic container think I will nick that fab idea!! 

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 09:58 »
Had my eglu over 5 years and it's still as good as new - what's red mite ?  ;) :lol:

I have to admit to giving the outside if it a light rub over with baby oil after washing it to keep the colour bright give it a lovely sheen  :wub:

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 14:06 »
I would love an Eglu cube, but in France they start at 870euro (720 pounds) which I think is a bit much!

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 09:06 »
Aunty I use that Avon Skin so soft oil (with citronella in it) on a soft cloth and wipe it all round the exterior of the Eglu inside on the ceiling where the girls can't lick it off  :D  It's said to repel insects and it smells lovely, and like you say it gives the Eglu a sheen  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 09:52 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:  Glad I'm not the only one here  ::)

xx
eglu cube

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 07:15
by symonep
xx
Eglu Cube

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 22:53
by jo40
xx
eglu cube

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 01:03
by compostqueen
xx
Eglu Cube

Started by andyhenderson10 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 23, 2009, 17:34
by chuckmum

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 34 queries.