What does your Vet charge?

• 8 Replies

Devonian

What does your Vet charge?
« on: August 08, 2010, 22:08 »
Had a problem with a poorly chook and took her to my local vets.   Was charged £45 for the cost of having her put down as there was no hope of a recovery sadly.

This was the first time I have needed a vet for one of my girls but it got me thinking that if I have another problem in the future what is the likely cost for a consultation or meds?

I see that a lot of hen owners need to see a vets for things like frontline or flubenvet but I have no idea on the cost.

Any pointers would be helpful please  :)

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
Re: What does your Vet charge?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 22:22 »
I had to take one of mine to our local vets on friday after she swallowed something sharp and was bleeding. It cost me £16 for him to have a look over her, give her an injection for any pain and me ask him general questions. To be fair it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 00:14 »
My vets charged £15 for consultation and anti-bacs - it was a small animal charge (like rabbit etc). I'd ring round a bit. Frontline for cats you can get at pharmacy at SAinsburys, feed shops etc., flubenvet online.  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:58 »
As frontline isn't licensed for poultry I get mine from my vets - I have the spray version - I have to sign for it so this way I am covered should they have a reaction to it etc. When I first got it I had to take a chicken in to the vets but they didn't charge me for seeing the chicken. Now I just ring up to give them time to prepare the paperwork and then go and collect. I use the same vets as D though so know we get good service and price.
Pet shops should not sell frontline to you if they know it is for chickens.
Flubenvet is licensed for poultry and is available from vets, pet shops and off the internet.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 08:15 »
I took my hen to the vet week before last as she had Mycoplasma. He charged me £27.13 for consultation and enough soluble Tylan to treat my girl and 17 other chickens for 5 days.

carolbriar

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 09:06 »
I had to take two of my hens to the vet last year and with antibiotics he charged me £12 something.  I then took one back for her to be put to sleep and he charged me just £6.  He also did minor surgery on the other hen on her neck and didn't charge me anything!  He has chickens himself and was interested in what was happening - definately recommend my vet to anyone in Northern Ireland! :)
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 10:33 »
If anybody has a vet that they would recommend to others for the treatment of poultry please don't forget to post their details on here:-

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26140.0

Jeanette

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 11:58 »
My vet charged £30 to put one of mine to sleep.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 09:57 »
That's because your birds are "stock" Tom and other people's may be "pets".

When do you stop paying for treatment for a pet - cat, dog, horse, rabbit etc.

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 37 queries.