Broodies

• 5 Replies

Fraggle

Broodies
« on: June 15, 2012, 13:42 »
I'm a beginner in the chicken keeping world, and its not been plain sailing, however it's lots of fun and the kids love them!

A question....I have given into 2 of my broody hens, (a Buff Orpington and a tiny Black Frizzle Pekin) Ive put 3 fertilized eggs under each of them, which they are most content with!
My only concern is what do I do when they hatch? They are sitting right next to each other in the coop, couldn't get much closer! Will they attack eachothers new offspring?  Dont think they are eating or drinking either, frizzles comb is pale nd floppy.
Any advise please?....

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: Broodies
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 14:05 »
Take both of them off the nest once or twice a day to make sure they eat, drink and poop. Feeding them corn will help as it's fattening.
I'm not sure about them being in together though.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 16:57 »
I separated both of my broodies into a rabbit hutch each. 

Careful when lifting them off the nest as the eggs can stick to them when they have plucked the breast feathers out.

When my broodies took their respective chicks out in the garden they would fight each other (to the death if not separated).  They are so protective of their chicks so if you can separate them then I would.

They can also try and steal each others eggs which can damage them and result in them not hatching.

Good luck with your hatch Fraggle.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 20:51 »
Hi there, wish I had the time to hatch some chicks, one of my orpingtons went broody yesterday hahaaa that's a whole new reception I got when tryin to move her out of the nest box  :lol: am I doing the right thing removing her? I am at work all day so she probably in there most of the day  :unsure: have just got home from work and let them out in the garden for a bit, she is ruffled and cheesed off with me oh dear, i had noticed she was becoming more aggressive over the last week or so, will she snap out of it? Suppose one if the others will follow suit, so rigt now i have one broody, one who has stopped laying and one who is ok, thank goodness for this forum I appreciate any advice cheers!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 22:12 »
If she is not going to be a productive broody, oust her out as much as possible.  If you are not going to be at home to chase her you can put her in a broody box with some food and water.  There is loads of info on the site about broody boxes if you do a quick search.

Good luck.   :)

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 22:52 »
Ah cheers will have a look at that honestly never realised what broody meant til yesterday cor it's like she is possessed poor thing! This is such a learning curve!

xx
can you have 2 broodies together?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 14:07
by jobson336
xx
Too many broodies!

Started by Cabbie37 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 20:24
by mdueal
xx
Broodies and age ?

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 10:01
by Vember
xx
Broodies and egg laying

Started by Tiggersmate on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 17:46
by Tiggersmate

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 37 queries.