Feather loss in a healthy chicken

• 5 Replies

Diamond

« on: June 29, 2008, 21:03 »
Wondering if anyone might be able to shed light on this condition. I have one chicken in my little flock of four, who is suffering from some feather loss on her neck and tummy. Other than this, she is a very healthy, happy chicken - good appetite, normal behaviours, always full of zest & happy to see me, tail in normal position etc etc. I can see my chooks from my kitchen window & haven't noticed any aggressive beaviour from other members of the flock, and even if there were, it doesn't really explain the loss from her tummy. I can't see any sign of mites and her diet is good.

These chooks have just turned two and are my first brood, and so I am still a relative newbie in these matters. Can anyone help me see what I've missed??!

Thank you!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 21:16 »
Hi Diamond welcome to the forums  :D

Can't help you I'm afraid but some one who may know will be along shortly
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 21:42 »
Don't know much about chickens (more of a duck girl) but could she be getting broody? They pull out feathers to line the nest themselves I understand.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 22:11 »
Hello Diamond,
Do you have a cockerel?
The reason I ask is there could be a few reasons
1.Cock related -they do tend to tug on neck feathers
2. Semi moult -Sometimes a partial moult just from neck
3. Broodiness - usually just breast area and will feel quite warm,coupled with broody behaviour -more time in nest box, fluffing up and a kinda of growling at you! :lol:
4. Feather pecking -is usually around vent area and area usually looks "pecked" with some evidence of blood

Hope this helps!!!

Diamond

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 23:19 »
Thanks so much for your help & suggestions, & welcome! :)

I don't have a cockerel no, & I think it's incredibly unlikely that she's broody - I didn't mention that they are Hyline Browns - not a scrap of broodiness in them generally speaking, I'm lead to believe. Surely they can't be moulting again already - they really only just moulted a couple of months ago, and, well it's not so even as a moult really. I think her vent area is untouched, but I will double check in the morning, and she is still friendly towards me - more friendly than one of her sisters - her behaviour hasn't changed at all. I don't think she's spending anymore time in the next box than usual, but again I will check that. (It's funny, I have 3 nest boxes, but all 4 chooks insist on using one particular one - why is that?)

Do you think that because she seems healthy I shouldn't worry too much? I'd really like to understand what's going on though.....

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 23:20 »
Also, with feather loss around neck, is she putting her head through any chicken wire?  We have one who puts her head through the wire round the run which is about 1inch mesh, and it rubs her feathers off.

And with the breast area, sometimes if they perch, the perches can rub feathers off, or if they don't perch but lay down to go to sleep on the ground, if they lay on fresh poop, the ammonia in the poop can take the feathers off.

Just another couple of ideas!!

xx
feather loss

Started by tiff on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 12:50
by Miller
question
Feather Loss

Started by Manoir51 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 08:15
by Manoir51
xx
feather loss

Started by Maeve on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 22:16
by OpiumEater
clip
feather loss

Started by bajmoe on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 18, 2014, 12:23
by grinling

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 29 queries.