Is it really common for chickens to get ill??

• 9 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Is it really common for chickens to get ill??
« on: May 17, 2010, 22:08 »
I've been Reading lots of posts about sick chickens I personally have had two problems in three weeks. is it common for hens to get sick even the people on here who seem very clued up have today reported sick chickens I appriciate that people are more likely to post if they have a problem than if nothing is wrong. Basically can I look forward to years of worrying and antibiotics? does anyone have any chickens that are fine ???

"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Is it really common for chickens to get ill??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 22:13 »
All chicken owners have sick chickens !  The problem is that they hide their illnesses well often untill it is too late to treat them.

They also live in "the wild" and can pick up diseases from wild birds.

I would imagine the chicken owners on here have many hundreds of chickens between them.  So the proportion is probably fairly low.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 08:37 »
the thing is that people generally don't need advise if their hens are well so this section makes it look like we all have sickly birds  :lol:
As Aunt Sally said it is generally just a very small proportion of birds that get ill, the best thing is to use preventative measures (regular worming, treat for mites and lice 2 or 3 times a year (if they are clear) and good animal husbandry  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 08:46 »
I thought for a minute there you were suggesting that we're neurotic, so I re-read your post  :D

Yes, we all have well chickens but we ALL get problems at some point, and here is a good place to come for advice

It's not all angst and antibiotics, honest  :D

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 09:48 »
You're right that we tend to post when we have a problem so it seems we all have sick chickens! I've had mine for a year now and have just added to the numbers. Touch wood, they've never been ill, had lice or red mite. I think I've been pretty lucky so far.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 10:36 »
I find that I only post now when I have sick chickens - quite often it acts as a reminder for people if they're not sure what such-and-such symptoms are.
Most of the time the chickens are well.

At the beginning I would post on anything, and we all post when we've got new chooks or when one of them does something really silly!  ::) :lol:

In the 3 years I've been keeping them, all of them have been ill at one point or another.
Monica got mauled by a fox, Erica needed baytril for something (can't remember what now!), Rita got Egg-bound, Sandra was very poorly for ages (she was ex-batt) and died, Mary had a stomach problem that she was born with, and she was put down, Pamela got broody, and Jessica's just been put on a course of anti-biotics.
that's only Tina that has never been ill!  :D  and she was a runt, so we expected her to be sickly all the time!  ::)

so, yeah, it does seem, like that, that chickens are always ill, but it's only about as much as a human family!

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 13:14 »
Well in a year I've never had a sick hen... I've had a cockerel with flystrike (*bork*) and two hens which mysteriously just upped and died without warning - but no sickness lol!

grumpydad

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 20:59 »
well i think i have had my share for most people, losing 8 out of 9 in 14 months.
i am much wiser now about illnesses and treatments, also much more switched on when i watch them, to see any slight difference in their behaviour.

as has been said, chucks are very good at hiding illness, and usually when you see it, it is too late

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 02:33 »
To answer your question - Yes.

The key to keeping them healthy is to buy good healthy stock to start with.  Many people who post on here have ex batts so they are not the best start if you want long lived healthy stock.   Getting ex batt chickens is an act of kindness and the reward is nursing them back to a more normal chicken lifestyle and some problems can be expected.  They often don't survive for more than a couple of years from retiring.  Their immune systems are usually irreversibly damaged and they generally are more susceptible to illness.

A good simple diet is important too.  Not too many treats.  Try to encourage an active foraging lifestyle by not over feeding high energy refined foods and giving them as much area to scrat about in as possible.

Next comes how they are kept.   A sanitory run and house and well designed accommodation with a low stress method of husbandry is important.  Keep parasites to a minimum by worming and treating for Red Mite.  Ocassionally changing their ground helps a lot too.

Don't keep adding new birds to old and risking introducing sickness.  If possible keep flocks of relatively the same age birds together.

Get it all right and your birds will have the best chance of living long and healthy lives but the odd loss is unavoidable.

HF
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:34 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 05:38 »
Just to put this in perspective, I farmed in Scotland for a while and once told a friend with a much bigger acreage that I felt dreadful everytime something was sick or died.  She pointed out that with her acreage she used to get up dreading the start of the day at one point, wondering what she would find sick or dead, especially during lambing time or just before (for prematures/miscarriages).

I lost touch with her when I moved away but I often wonder if she got used to it.

I guess you just have to remember for every sick animal you find/hear about, there are hundreds that are absolutely fine.

xx
Is this common?

Started by rileyfin on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 21:12
by rileyfin
xx
is this common

Started by terri on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 21:17
by hillfooter
xx
Common sense warning

Started by Planner on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 16:33
by violet
xx
Common chicken illness?

Started by zygchicks on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2006, 22:12
by becky

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 30 queries.