fleece or net

• 5 Replies

chili

• Experienced Member
fleece or net
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:22 »
currently got my spring cabbage and psb covered with net however am begining to think fleece maybe better to protect them against pests etc
advice please net or fleece.
am leaning towards fleece myself as net always seems so blooming fiddly to sort out :)

RichardA

Re: fleece or net
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 11:44 »
I have used fleece in the past and it led in my case to considerable problems with grey fly and with mould as leaves start to go off. I also suspect watering from a sprinkler is very ineffective with water running off to edges only. I only use debris netting now for greens but use fleece and enviromesh in other parts of garden for frost protection and for carrots etc.
I use debris netting on sticks with plant pots over them but take care to keep nets incl folds and corners and saggy bits above leaves as butterflies lay through it. Black and blue nets seems better than green (dont know why) but I still occasionally have to check and crush an odd caterpiller or pull off a leaf etc so I stay vigilant. All scrap goes to ducks so not wasted.
In case you are wondering why do I have diff colour nets -- so I can get right width off shelf when nets all rolled up for each application (2 metres wide, 3 metres, 4 metre etc) as I tend to net in beds not row by row.
All the best
R
Best of luck.

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 15:29 »
many thanks for the info, do you happen to know an online place to debris netting at a reasonable price?

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 15:31 »
many thanks for the info, do you happen to know an online place to debris netting at a reasonable price?

Plenty listed on ebay  :)  Both 2 metre and 3 metre.
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 16:54 »
a quick goggle should find you something under debris netting if not try scaffolding suppliers or tarpaulin suppliers.
Sorry I cant recall who I used - I think it was something like tarpaulins direct but best price varies day to day with stuff like this.
If you know any builders or scaffolders try asking them as debris netting is rarely used twice so often goes in the skip on most building sites.
R

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 19:37 »
a quick goggle should find you something under debris netting if not try scaffolding suppliers or tarpaulin suppliers.
Sorry I cant recall who I used - I think it was something like tarpaulins direct but best price varies day to day with stuff like this.
If you know any builders or scaffolders try asking them as debris netting is rarely used twice so often goes in the skip on most building sites.
R

Mmmm thats handy to know...thanks

xx
Fleece??

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 21:46
by Martin
xx
Fleece - and how to use it with these veg.

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 20:09
by franmeerkat
xx
Fleece

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 12:28
by Sadgit
xx
Fleece

Started by Belvoir on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 16:10
by DD.

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 36 queries.