My ladies, Rooster Booster & Foxes

• 1 Replies

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
« on: April 15, 2007, 09:28 »
:D Good morning to everyone, what a glorious day, its already hot here in West Sussex, you cann't beat the Uk when the sun is shineing, and the weather is hot, hot, hot. :lol:  :lol:
I have a question :?:  Do any of you have any problems letting your chickens and roosters total free range during the day with Foxs :?:
I want to let my ladies and Rooster Booster out of their run and onto my field during the day, and into their house at night. It is very, very rural, the nearest house is about quarter of a mile away. Our horses are on our field as well.
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

Luther

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 21:08 »
Hi Viv,
I'm in a similar location on the edge of a forest, and allow my chooks to free range, exactly as you've mentioned.
Whilst my bantams tend to stay close to the house and the confines of the garden, the Warrens and the Welbars venture much further, exploring the perimeter of the fields and the hedge line.
I recently caught 2 of the Welbars in the hedge, about to go onto the lane, and I've now had to plug these gaps. You have to have eyes in the back of your head! :shock:
Be very careful Viv if you are letting yours roam like this. In 3 years I have lost 2 to foxes, they were probably snatched having ventured too far. :cry:
I now tend to let mine out every afternoon for a few hours and all day on Sat/Sun, but I'm always relatively close by, on the land doing some form of work.
Just give them a go and see how they respond, but check on them regularly. We spend alot of time outside, which I believe keeps the foxes at bay, but the foxes in your area could be sneakier :twisted:
Other than that, our chooks couldn't have it better, they enjoy the freedom and the exercise and produce the goods..........lots of yummy eggs :D

xx
Rooster Booster any good

Started by slowef on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 20:58
by Aunt Sally
question
Soft Shells - Shell Max Booster

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 15:14
by Topscaff
xx
What Is This ?? (Apart from a hen/rooster :op)

Started by ShoeGirl on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 09, 2012, 21:17
by ShoeGirl
xx
rooster or hen

Started by davimi on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 09:51
by cathangirl

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 29 queries.