Out of interest and planning ahead....

• 17 Replies

compostqueen

Re: Out of interest and planning ahead....
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 23:39 »
I was planning for next year yesterday. Seed catalogue and cuppa in hand.  I always grow different varieties as well as some old faves

It's only by trying different things that you find what's hot and what's not  :)

allotmentann

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 07:00 »
What no potatoes!
It's my first year growing anything but I've got to state that the potatoes I've grown have been a world apart from any that I've ever bought and everyone that has tried them has agreed with me.
Potatoes are a definite with me from now on,they really are worth the effort.

You are absolutely right, the taste is incomparable. I do grow a few,however, they take up a lot of space and although shop bought are nowhere near as nice, they can be bought fairly cheaply if I buy economy bags. The veg on my list I simply cannot afford to buy, ever, (with the excpetion of courgettes which are occasionally on offer). To me having my freezer full of lovely veg and even better eating it fresh, is fantastic.
Compostqueen - I think that one of the nicest things is being able to try different varieties and I think I shall always want to try new ones alongside the ones that become favourites. I am hoping that all this lovely information will help me to find favourites faster!
I am also hoping to work out what is good to crop for longer, I didn't manage early and late crops on anything this season which is a shame. :(
Very grateful for all your input :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 13:50 »
Broad beans - tried a Windsor type this year and find them more tender and tastier than the other sorts like Bunyards.
Have grown a Cobra French bean in g'house last few years with good results, but this year tried dwarf Mollie - very tender, but not sure if the taste comes through.
Peas - Hurst Greenshaft; or Sugar Snaps which are good value as you can leave the pods to produce peas as well.
We grow mainly for flavour, but it depends on so much. Tried a different calabrese this year, but am definitely going back to Corvet, though I wish I had grown some as well for a taste test.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Planning ahead

Started by Clueless on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 09:04
by WG.
xx
Planning ahead....

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 12:45
by beesrus
xx
Planning ahead

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 17:24
by snow white
xx
Planning ahead - sweetcorn

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 21:32
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 28 queries.