Newly sowed carrots attracting many slugs and snails

• 8 Replies

hubballi

Newly sowed carrots attracting many slugs and snails
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:32 »
I have sowed some autumn king carrots in rows in my raised bed in the hope of having a late harvest (advised by Monty Don) however, by going out at night I collected an unusually large amount of snails and small slugs on the area where they were sown. It looked to me they were very much attracted by the small shoots coming through and had successfully nibbled every top off  :mad: This has happened in the past when I had 0% success with carrots.

I am wondering if anyone knows why they go for carrots so much and what to do about it. Have tried garlic, organic pellets but it doesn't work. The only thing I can think of is going out and getting them at night but I bet as soon as I have cleared them and gone inside another lot will come along. It's so depressing  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Newly sowed carrots attracting many slugs and snails
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 09:09 »
this year there are so many slugs around - try reading Johns diary here. With the warm weather and then lots of rain they seem to have multiplied by their thousands  :mad:
Staffies are softer than you think.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:14 »
Newly-emerged carrots are indeed very sought after by slugs and snails, and I suspect that many apparent "no-shows" are really the result of the seedlings being eaten before they're big enough for humans to see!

I know you try to be as wildlife-friendly as possible, but you might find it acceptable to sow your carrots under an enviromesh cage, put non-organic pellets down inside the cage so other wildlife can't access them, and organic ones scattered outside.

Works for me - sometimes you just have to re-think and scale up your efforts when faced with larger than normal problems, and this year slugs and snails are definitely one of them!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 09:23 »
I agree JayG. This year I have reached for the blue pellets of death more times than in the last ten I would say  :blink:

Everyone has to make their own decision here, but I cannot manage to hand pick slugs from the whole plot and the garden every day night, and I wanted to be ab eto eat the produce I have grown, not watch it be demolished
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Willow_Warren

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:44 »
I had a planted with lots of newly sprouting carrot seeds, got up one morning to find that there was one of those horrible little grey slugs in it - quite a few of the seedlings had gone  :(  Move the planted and the remainder to the picnic table in the back garden - hopefully better protected!

When planted out some Kale plants, I found 3 large snails in the seed tray (plants were in individual pots in a seed tray), chucked them down to a chicken who tucked in  :tongue2:

H :)

hubballi

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 10:49 »
I must admit, the very small slugs get a quick death being trodden on but anything bigger I can't. The mesh sounds a good idea. Where can I get this from for a good price ?  :)

Willow_Warren

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 11:10 »
I must admit, the very small slugs get a quick death being trodden on but anything bigger I can't. The mesh sounds a good idea. Where can I get this from for a good price ?  :)
I had treading on snails!  I got home at 10pm one evening this week and I trod on 4 snails getting from my car to the house - YUCK!! *insert puky smilie*

Hannah :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 11:11 »

A few suggestions from a fairly recent post here.

(Of course the idea of growing carrots under Enviromesh/Veggiemesh/Wondermesh/Meshymesh? ( :lol:) is to protect from carrot fly rather than keeping wildlife off your slug pellets!)  ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 13:55 »
Am definitely going to get some alkathene piping and make large frames to be covered with Enviromesh for next year. It will keep my cats away from the blue pellets and protect the sowings and plantings from slugs, snails and the wind. I plan to have them in sections so I can use them singly wherever, or together as a big brassica cage later on.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Any one sowed carrots yet?

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 02, 2015, 12:46
by jambop
xx
snails and slugs

Started by chelseablue on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 23:18
by richyrich7
xx
Slugs and snails

Started by Bec1 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 30, 2022, 11:40
by 8doubles
xx
Slugs and snails

Started by mattcavens on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 13:37
by peapod

Page created in 0.601 seconds with 29 queries.