poorly girl

• 9 Replies

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
poorly girl
« on: April 01, 2015, 12:58 »
One of my girls is a bit under the weather . she looks real weak and is having alot  trouble standing up and today she has stopped eating although she is still drinking. Her combs and wattles are still a nice pinkie red colour. Also she looks realy fluffed up like she is cold. Does anyone please have any idea what could be wrong with her.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: poorly girl
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 19:49 »
Have you gone over her looking for injuries, felt her crop and checked for a broken egg in her vent ?  She may well need to see a vet.

If you have drawn a blank on all that , I would bring her in and see how she is after a night indoors with food and drink on tap.  If she still looks as bad tomorrow, I think you should consider a trip to the vet anyway. 

I have had birds look fluffed up and tragic that have pulled back round within a day or so, but they don't last long without food, so don't leave it too long.

Good luck with her - hope it does all go well  :) 

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 20:36 »
Her crop is fine and her vent is fine. I have put her in a cardboard box in the house with water. She is still not eating all that well but what I have noticed is that she has really watery poo's .

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 20:53 »
If she is not eating much, she will have watery poos.  I've has some very poorly looking girls with dirty bums who pass almost pure water.

I'm sure they do get bugs and off days just like we do.  All the young ones I have brought in have recovered in no time, but with the old girls, some have just slipped away in the night. 

If she is young and doesn't improve tomorrow, it may be something that needs antibios.  If she is an oldie and you don't want to stress her with the vet, you might just have to make her comfortable and make a decision if you think she is suffering.

They have amazing powers of recovery.  You may be pleasantly surprised in the morning.  My 10 year old dottie was like this last year for a couple of days, but just needed a bit of TLC.  She bounced right back rules the roost to this day.  Try her with something she loves.  It doesn't matter what she eats, so long as she gets her crop going again.  I've used apple, mealworms, sunflower hearts.  Greed often wins out :)

grinling

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 20:57 »
The weather for last 2 days has been rubbish and shemight have have gotton a bit cold.

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 22:17 »
I will persevere with her architecting her and making sure she eats. She is just less than a year old so cross my fingers and I hope she will be ok in a couple of days. Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice.

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 09:21 »
I was nursing her most of the night with water and bits of food but unfortunately she was to weak to carry on fighting and she has died. Again thanks for all your suggestions and help.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 10:11 »
sadly often when a chicken shows signs of being unwell they are too ill to survive  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sue33

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 10:58 »

sorry to hear your girl has died, sometimes we just don't know why  :(

grinling

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 22:01 »
Sorry for the bad news.

xx

xx
Poorly Girl?

Started by ycholmes on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 20:53
by ycholmes
xx
poorly girl?????

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2015, 20:38
by Helenaj
xx
Can you help me with my poorly girl?

Started by Becky C on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 12:45
by SMD66
xx
Poorly girl

Started by Andrew4613 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 08:22
by Andrew4613

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 36 queries.