Swiss Chard

• 14 Replies

rockyracoon

Swiss Chard
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:21 »
Lately have noticed the leaves on my chard have been eaten away, no sign of insects, so I've been left wondering.  Anyhoo, OH got up early yesterday morning, looked out the window and saw a great flock of small birds all over it.  Do birds normally go for this, I'll have to get some netting up now.

daisy1990

Re: Swiss Chard
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:31 »
never have on my patch but then they help themselves to my berries and hen food so maybe they are full!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 15:26 »
I've never seen birds go for chard but these days I wouldn't be a bit surprised. The UK seems to be a country covered in netting  :lol: so the birds might be getting desperate. If you're growing Bright Lights, the colours could be attracting birds, and if the plants are still fairly young, the birds will be after the tender leaves, much like they do with spinach and any young shoots. So definitely cover the plants if you expect to get any.

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 15:34 »
Sparrows nibbling chard does not surprise me.... although mine has never been bothered by them.

I noticed a dozen or so sparrows trimming the leaves on the beetroot in my father's front garden the other day... another first.  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 16:19 »
well it is very dry, where else can they get moisture from?

All those people that feed birds in the winter..........how many remember to put water out in the summer :(

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 16:24 »
well it is very dry, where else can they get moisture from?

All those people that feed birds in the winter..........how many remember to put water out in the summer :(

I hope most of us, but not just in the summer! And some food but not as much as in the winter.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 16:33 »
Glad you do the water, but most seem to ignore it around here :(

I only put a tiny bit of food out as they don't eat it at this time of year............when it starts disappearing quickly I know it is time to up the rations again ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 16:36 »
Plenty of water all year round!  ;)
30 May 2010 (8).jpg

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 16:41 »
My White Chard was eaten to the rib last year, the Ruby chard next to it untouched.  This year the Roby was eaten - so its all under netting now.

(Rabbit fence around the plot, so I reckon it was birds)

rockyracoon

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 16:00 »
Trillium, it is bright lights, will definitely put up netting.  I don't think about bird food or water as my dog would wait there to hunt the birds, but seeing as it makes little difference as they are coming uin anyway I'll put some out to see if the sods leave my veggies alone.

Thanks for all your responses.

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 21:37 »
Sparrows or pigeons are the most likely common culprit. I'm not sure why but sparrows seem to change their diet at different times of the year - maybe something to do with availability of food types and the need to feed young.

Pigeons were a massive nuisance on our lottie site but, recently, there seems to be fewer around.... several heaps of feathers so something to thank the foxes for?  ::)

I was surprised my “baby leaf” spinach didn’t attract any attention… it’s more tender but obviously not in fashion – I’m not complaining!! ;)

mobilekat

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 22:44 »
We have a robin with a liking for Chard, and a tendency to fly down in front of me to nick it!

But he/she and the 'kids' are so cute at the moment I havent got the heart to tell them off (and having had a firm telling off from the robin recently for disturbing the 'kids' I tend not to argue!)

Has been fun watching them learning to fly etc in the garden!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 22:59 »
We have a robin with a liking for Chard, and a tendency to fly down in front of me to nick it!

But he/she and the 'kids' are so cute at the moment I havent got the heart to tell them off (and having had a firm telling off from the robin recently for disturbing the 'kids' I tend not to argue!)

Has been fun watching them learning to fly etc in the garden!

That's well worth a few chard leaves... still not too late to stick some more seed in!  ;)

mobilekat

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 08:17 »
The best of it is they only nick a few leaves, and leave most of them!
so havent had to replace any!!
I think they are also fond of caterpillars which is great!

Have just put some turnips and bulls blood beet in, for different leaves (must ensure robins have a balanced diet) and another crop for us too hopefully- am just about out of space!

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 13:07 »
The best of it is they only nick a few leaves, and leave most of them!
so havent had to replace any!!
I think they are also fond of caterpillars which is great!

Have just put some turnips and bulls blood beet in, for different leaves (must ensure robins have a balanced diet) and another crop for us too hopefully- am just about out of space!

It's nice to share  ;)

xx
swiss chard

Started by upinsmoke on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 09:30
by mumofstig
xx
swiss chard

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 12:20
by sunshineband
xx
Swiss chard

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

68 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 21:16
by Paul Plots
wireless
swiss chard

Started by jimbo1878 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 12:23
by TerryB

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 30 queries.