Why dib in leeks?

• 18 Replies

JohnB47

Why dib in leeks?
« on: July 04, 2010, 23:09 »
Or to ask it another way, what if you just planted the darn things, nice and deep?

I read somewhere that leaving them in a dibbed hole is to 'allow them to bulk out'. Really? Like they're going to stay super thin just because of soil pressure? Are they that weak?

To my mind (and I'm probably wrong) plants have an enormous strength, exerted slowly over a long period of time. Carrots and parsnips seem to manage it, never mind spuds. Are leeks different?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Why dib in leeks?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 23:14 »
It's my first time ever growing leeks so don't actually know much about them but I've read plenty!

Best explanation for me is that it helps prevent soil getting trapped in the leaves which results in gritty leeks which are difficult to clean properly. Seems to make sense!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 23:17 »
I plant in a deep hole  :D  I make the hole good and deep so that the shank of the leek will be white as it's below soil level and won't see the light of day, so I suppose the deeper they are the whiter and longer the shank will be

I make a hole for mine with a long handled bulb planter but  a walking stick whirled around in the soil is quite good  :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 23:19 »
I have to agree with JayG.  The consensus of opinion seems to be that planting like this reduces the chance that the leeks will trap sand or soil when growing.
Cheese makes everything better.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:30 »
I expect the main reason for dibbing leeks in is speed. A dibber is much faster than a trowel if you are putting in hundreds of leeks.
Why do it the hard way? :)

Zippy

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 07:55 »
I use a trowel to slice a trench, line the leeks up and close the trench because i have sandy soil and if I were to use a dibber I would be there all day!

I plant up to the first separation of leaves with the shank buried so I get plenty of white shank but the leaves do not collect soil as they grow.

I believe the dibber tradition came from an area of heavier soil (Midlands) and people have been slavishly following the tradition ever since whether it works or not.

Nobbie

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 09:21 »
For most people it's the quickest and most effective way of transplanting leeks. I did my lot last night into the space left by my early spuds. Dibber in, leek in, fill hole with water to get some soil around the roots at the bottom of the hole and job done :) I can imagine it being a bit of a waste of time trying to do it on a sandy soil, or very hard work on compacted soil. Leaving the leek in a hole also means that you can plant it deeper than if you filled the hole as the growing tip can be below soil level. This also gives it an incentive to lengthen the stem to reach more light. If you buried the tip the plant might give up.

As you say, the leeks would get to the same girth irrespective, as the soil can't stop the leek from expanding, just witness how weeds can split concrete apart.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 09:22 »
To get more "white" bit of the leek use the inners of toilet rolls over the plant and just twist it into the soil to keep the plant upright and in the shade.  The leek will bulk out OK and there will be another few inches of "white".  If you can manage to get your hands on old terracotta drainage pipes (I did off freecycle) the these are really good.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 12:47 »
I just dib them in cos it works  :)

Give it a go

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 14:37 »
I put my leeks in last week. Unfortunatley the holes have filled in :(

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 14:56 »
I put my leeks in last week. Unfortunatley the holes have filled in :(

Mine too.  I dont think its a problem - the soil around the young leeks cant be all that compacted.  In fact, mine filled in pretty much as I watered them (no matter how careful i was).

Give it a go

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 15:53 »
It does make you feel better when others share the same problems :)

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 16:22 »
it's not a problem that the soil falls back in. Don't worry  :)

JohnB47

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 20:50 »
Thanks everyone.

Good to hear all the opinions. Not sure about the argument that dibbing in reduces the problem of soil getting in between the leaves - seems unlikely to me. Perhaps the best argument for doing it is speed. Still, each to his/her own.

Perhaps we should dib-in spuds? Might try that on a few of mine next year for a lark.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 21:05 »
I use my bulb planter for spud tubers and for leeks  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
nowhere to put my leeks!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 15:07
by aelf
xx
Last of the Leeks

Started by Aunt Sally on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 22:13
by Aunt Sally
xx
When to sow leeks

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post January 25, 2015, 21:26
by adri123
xx
Leeks

Started by Firstyear on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 12, 2019, 07:31
by Growster...

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 29 queries.