Sweetpeas not growing.

• 6 Replies

tinlizzy

Sweetpeas not growing.
« on: June 17, 2008, 21:29 »
I've grown sweetpeas for years without any problems, sowed them as usual in toilet roll tubes, nice bushy plants but since planting them out they haven't moved, still 6" high.   I've planted some more straight into the ground and they've caught up with the first lot.   Any ideas why they're not growing?

Brambles

Sweetpeas not growing.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 23:17 »
Very strange tinlizzy!!  I have always had beautiful sweet peas, never ever had any success with peas.   This year, NO sweet peas and I have an abundance of lovely fat juicey peas, a HUGE crop!  Maybe someone can throw some light on this one for us :?

Wildeone

Sweetpeas not growing.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 07:24 »
It's the first year i've grown them and they took ages to get going! I planted them and and they just sat there for about a month doing nothing then all of a sudden they're off! Maybe it was a silent protest at been moved!  :roll:  :?
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Sweetpeas not growing.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 09:24 »
Mine were growing like mad until I moved them to the allotment now some of them have died and the others are just sitting there doing nothing, I am  not sure what I have done but I was looking forward to cutting some for the house but its not looking good at the moment.  As for my peas I have an abundance of flowers at the allotment and quite a few pods at home.  :D
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Sweetpeas not growing.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 14:43 »
Mine are half way up the sticks and flowering.  I planted them in February in the greenhouse and they went outside in late April.  They were slow to get moving this year, but generous watering soon saw them rushing upwards.  First flowers started about a week ago.

I have also planted some more for showing which are at six leaf stage and should provide flowers well into September - subject to frosts.

The weather this year has (yet again) not been on the gardeners side so don't lose heart.

Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
Sweetpeas not growing.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 18:21 »
my daughter bought me a tray of sweat peas for mothers day and I plant them about a weekl later-before, the snow fell and they were coveredin snow.  but they grew like mad after that and I have been bringing them home for about a week now.  but today I picked a load of them.  so maybe they like snow-  I say plant them early.  cause mine are out of control.

ratman

Sweetpeas not growing.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 20:33 »
I planted mine from seed in outside tubs and they have really struggled to germinate and grow. I have had to re-seed and the second lot seem to be coming through better now. I have planted some elsewhere in the garden and they have reached about 12 inches high and now all the leaves are going pale in colour and the plants looking rather sick. I don't know whethere a good folia feed will help at all, can anyone recommend a good one for sweet peas ?????

xx
Pinching out growing tips - Sweetpeas

Started by Pony Girl on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 02, 2012, 22:53
by VegGirl7
xx
Anybody still got sweetpeas?

Started by GrannieAnnie on General Gardening

21 Replies
Last post November 16, 2007, 09:02
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Sweetpeas

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

25 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 21:11
by Yorkie
xx
Sweetpeas (again)

Started by sloegin on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 14:08
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 29 queries.