greenhouse tomatoes - growbag or large pots

• 37 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: greenhouse tomatoes - growbag or large pots
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 18:22 »
pots! I find growbags are too sprawly and take up too much space and are more difficult to water. Last year I used our ex-recycling boxes - two toms to a box.
Rachael

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 18:47 »
Flower buckets here too!  Much easier to move around.  If you remove about one third plus of the leaves off your tomato plants it helps the air circulate and lets light  through to the fruit and you can then put the pots closer together.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 18:52 »
One side of my greenhouse is soil, but on the otherside...........I use growbag compost, but tip it into pots (the free flower bucket ones) which stand in any old container I can find, that will hold an inch or so of water :)

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 19:45 »
I use plastic rings on top of growbags.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 19:48 »
I use flower buckets and growbags cut in half on their sides for depth.

What worries more is sometimes cucumbers and tomatoes together tend not to always work with me and the tomatoes suffer

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 19:56 »
Anyway, back to the tomato question....

I got my dad some of those big fish boxes, the hard plastic ones, not the polysyrene ones.

He's go a geenhouse, I HAVEN'T  :tongue2: :tongue2:

Every spring he just stacks them in his trailer, goes to the farm, loads them with muck, re stacks them, Bobs your uncle.....

no i'm not :D

Goldfinger

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 20:04 »
Not you, sorry.  :blink:

In the saying I mean't......... ??? ???

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 20:06 »
Not you, sorry.  :blink:

In the saying I mean't......... ??? ???

joking lol

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 20:17 »
One side of my greenhouse is soil, but on the otherside...........I use growbag compost, but tip it into pots (the free flower bucket ones) which stand in any old container I can find, that will hold an inch or so of water :)

I am probably being a bit thick here but I keep seeing references to "flower buckets - the free ones". Where the heck do you get free flower buckets from? :unsure:

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 20:22 »

I am probably being a bit thick here but I keep seeing references to "flower buckets - the free ones". Where the heck do you get free flower buckets from? :unsure:

the free flower bucket shop of course. :D
recycling bins are better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 20:29 »
I am probably being a bit thick here but I keep seeing references to "flower buckets - the free ones". Where the heck do you get free flower buckets from?

Most of the big supermarkets get their cut flowers delivered in black buckets. If you ask nicely in most stores they are free, or sometimes 10 for 99p (almost free) :lol:

Elcie

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 20:49 »
I am probably being a bit thick here but I keep seeing references to "flower buckets - the free ones". Where the heck do you get free flower buckets from?

Most of the big supermarkets get their cut flowers delivered in black buckets. If you ask nicely in most stores they are free, or sometimes 10 for 99p (almost free) :lol:

I have been successful getting free ones in local and large Tescos.  I haven't asked for ages though.  I recently bought some in Morrisons after reading on here that they sell them.  I must admit I have been looking for months and never saw them.  Plucked up the courage to ask someone and they went off and got them and put tape on them for me, so just ask and there they are.  A bargain whether free or 10 for 99p in my opinion.

Last year I used grow bags and flower buckets and I preferred the flower buckets to be honest so won't be bothering with grow bags this year I don't think.  Although I may buy some grow bags and tip the compost into flower buckets.  Just to be awkward!

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 20:51 »

Ooooooh! I thought that the flowers turned up in boxes or such like and they put them in the buckets so they were part of the fixtures. :blush:

Although ........... I haven't got a greenhouse, but maybe they would look better in buckets outside than in growbags. I HATE seeing growbags messing up the garden - all that advertising! It wouldn't be so bad if they were plain black or something! :mad:

Goldfinger

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 21:11 »

Ooooooh! I thought that the flowers turned up in boxes or such like and they put them in the buckets so they were part of the fixtures. :blush:

Although ........... I haven't got a greenhouse, but maybe they would look better in buckets outside than in growbags. I HATE seeing growbags messing up the garden - all that advertising! It wouldn't be so bad if they were plain black or something! :mad:

If the 'bags were plain black, I learn't at skool  :blink:, that black absorbs heat. So, would it benefit the plant by having 'warmer' roots etc??

Does my question even make sense??????????????????????????????????????????????

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 21:16 »

If the 'bags were plain black, I learn't at skool  :blink:, that black absorbs heat. So, would it benefit the plant by having 'warmer' roots etc??

Does my question even make sense??????????????????????????????????????????????

yip

xx
growbag pots

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 13, 2015, 15:11
by Annen
xx
Growing potatoes in pots / growbag

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 10:17
by kezlou
xx
Growing tomatoes in a Hozelock Growbag Waterer

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 11, 2019, 00:40
by Elaine G
xx
spent growbag compost from blighted tomatoes

Started by mjg000 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 11, 2015, 20:40
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 30 queries.