Bindweed

• 27 Replies

prakash_mib

Bindweed
« on: February 15, 2010, 13:40 »
THE BIND WEED CONTROL...

I started my bind weed control on 10 of September 2009 (mind you we were blessed with one of the best september in years). had to use weed killer. Sorry organic producers. But I was happy using it since we have been eating pesticide/high fertilized food for 30 years and a year more wouldnt do any harm (lateral thinking).

Right this was my idea I read bind weed slowly absorbs Roundup and will die. the methods suggested were fill a polythene bag of weedkiller and dip the bindweed and tie the sack for a week to make the weed die. But my allotment didnt had one weed it had some 500 SQ feet of bind weed.

so my idea was to implement the slow absorbing technique the other way. first i sprayed 30ml concentrate mixed in 5 litres twice within 3 hours. This somehow made the weed think that it shoud grow and after 5 days when i went back to see beautiful lush green shoots appearing and the weed growing with vigour. now I sprayed 30ml/litre solution and i waited for another week to spray another 30ml/litre solution which made the bindweed, nettle all die. Dont dig up the roots immediately. leave it for more that 15 days in the ground and start digging up and you can see the roots going slimey and filling you heart with joy. Remember to remove all the bit roots left while digging. But I can guarantee you I havent seen a single bindweed shoot in last month and a half (hope this will be the case for the rest of my life) but I think next year if at all the dreaded thing re-appear it will be very weak and can be easily handled.

Almost all in my allotment area congratulated me on my good job.

"God please dont let them grow again... or atleast in my plot!!!"

One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Bindweed
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 13:49 »
I don't want to shatter any illusions, but not many in this country will have seen a bindweed shoot in the last month and a half.

It's dormant.

March/April may be a different story.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 15:53 »
DDs right,

Its going to take more than that to kill the evilness that is bindweed  :(
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 16:09 »
If you've still got to dig the root up, wouldn't it be easier and cheper just to dig them up in the first place????????
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

lightyears

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 16:50 »
im gonna join the DD is right club, i had a simular problem 3 years ago now, cleared it, dug it, got it up, the when i go on holiday for 2 weeks in july, BAM its back. ive accepted its control rather than completely destroy with bindweed now, its here to stay.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 16:53 »
There's no way I can totally clear mine out of the raspberries, (and in other spots come to that). In the raspberries I just rip it out when I see it and have to be content with that.

goodegg

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 17:42 »
yes it will be back but dont give up when it starts to grow properly give it some more roundup you will gradually weaken it and get less and less.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 18:44 »
try using GALLUP.iv'e used this trick for a few years now,it's very good for difficult areas where other plants are growing.
1 pair of long rubber gloves and a pair of slightly too large wollen gloves.
mix the Gallup in a bucket at 20-1 for pernacious weeds.
simply dip your hand (gloves on) into the herbicide,and grab the offending weeds at the base draw your hand up to the tip of the weed.
youlv'e just strategically placed a perfect amount of herbicide to the unwanted plant.continue this process throughout hard to reach places,try it yourselve's it works a treat.
it's perfect for knotweed.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 19:26 »
Dig up the roots, dig up the roots, then dig up the roots again.   :D

I find that as it roots from the smallest bit of root, you can never entirely erradicate it whilst growing crops at the same time.  I fork over the plot and remove anything white from the soil.  Luckily it does stand out

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 19:37 »
try using GALLUP.iv'e used this trick for a few years now,it's very good for difficult areas where other plants are growing.
simply dip your hand (gloves on) into the herbicide,and grab the offending weeds at the base draw your hand up to the tip of the weed.
youlv'e just strategically placed a perfect amount of herbicide to the unwanted plant.continue this process throughout hard to reach places,try it yourselve's it works a treat.

I've never heard of Gallup - is it licensed for use on the amateur market and where food crops are being grown?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 19:43 »
Dig up the roots, dig up the roots, then dig up the roots again.   :D

I find that as it roots from the smallest bit of root, you can never entirely erradicate it whilst growing crops at the same time.  I fork over the plot and remove anything white from the soil.  Luckily it does stand out

Thats what we do too

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 19:47 »

I've never heard of Gallup - is it licensed for use on the amateur market and where food crops are being grown?

I've never heard it either, but it does sound like industrial stuff. A search threw up this "amusing" story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2285867/Groundsman-destroys-golf-greens-with-weedkiller.html

DavidT

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 19:48 »
If I`m not mistaken Gallup is an agricultural weedkiller. :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 19:50 »
It's looking that way from what I can see.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 20:19 »
I done my PA1 last week and im sure hte leaflet was from Gallup i got my PA 6 tomorrow  :wacko:
Thanks
Kris

xx
Bindweed - best way to get rid

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 14:56
by slow_worm
xx
How to get rid of bindweed

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 30, 2010, 17:41
by Carol
xx
Bindweed - help!

Started by Nosher on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 18:41
by Trillium
question
what to do with bindweed??

Started by Loopyjump on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 11:47
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 29 queries.