Bindweed - help!

• 15 Replies

Nosher

Bindweed - help!
« on: June 05, 2007, 15:39 »
Hi I moved into my house last summer and decided to convert the weedy back garden/lawn into a veggie growing area. I have tons of bindweed coming up which however often I try to pull/dig it up, it just sprouts back again. Will weed killers work? Which ones should I use? Will they kill the roots or just the above ground bits?
Finally I have some veggies growing in patches and raspberries etc, will a weedkiller linger and kill them as well?
Any advice gratefully received

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Bindweed - help!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 15:49 »
Hi Nosher & welcome.

If you are not averse to weedkiller, then a glyphosphate based one is for you. (Such as 'Round Up'). This not only kills the leaves, but gets to the roots as well. Bind weed may still need a couple of applications though.

The added advantage with this type is that it is rendered inactive on contact with the soil, so future plants will not come to harm.

Be careful using it around veg though, it can't tell the difference betwenn an unwanted & wanted plant.

You may get away with using it between fruit bushes, if you don't get it on the leaves.

DD
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Nosher

Bindweed - help!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 15:57 »
Many Thanks Dave
I usually don't bother using chemicals, whilst kidding myself its because I am 'organic'. I have the 'cross your fingers and hope' approach to gardening but in this case its driving me nuts. Takes hours to unwind the bindweed from delicate new raspberry growth.
I shall try it on my next free gardening weekend.

WG.

Bindweed - help!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 16:10 »
Here's a trick I read on here Nosher.   Push in short bamboo canes for the bindweed to grow up.  Then paint on yer glyphosphate with a brush.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Bindweed - help!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 16:16 »
My cousin's ex used to put diluted weedkiller in little jars or old saucers, and put the tip of the weeds like bindweed into it, and the leaves and stalks take in the weedkiller and pow, dead!  As long as you haven't got any pets or small children who might drink the stuff, but I like the bamboo cane idea WG, mind you, the bindweed won't grow up the canes specially, it'll still grow up other stuff as well won't it????  Although we only get a small amount of bindweed on the far side from the beg patch, where next door's took out the old holly hedges

WG.

Bindweed - help!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 16:20 »
No, it'll grow up anything GA but at least you only have the plants to weed then.

wellingtons

I've had more success ...
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 11:00 »
... if I bruise the leaves a bit first ... well I don't know if it works better, but knocking em about a bit first makes me feel better ...  :D

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
Bindweed - help!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 12:10 »
As organic as I'd like to be, I'm beginning to feel that maybe I ought to postpone *totally organic* for a little while. I 've had huge battles with bindweed, and my aching abck and arm muscles are testament to that. Most of my plot was covered in bindweed, and those places I've not touched yet are still full of it. Maybe I shall resort to the suggested weed killer to get them dead? My worry then is the neighbouring unoccupied plot, which has them aplenty too. Could they spread over to my bit eventually, or would vigorous weeding stop them?
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Bindweed - help!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 12:15 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
Could they spread over to my bit eventually, or would vigorous weeding stop them?

Yes they could spread, but vigorous weeding on your plot would not stop it coming back. You'd have to do next doors as well!!

jacnal

Bindweed - help!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 13:22 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Could they spread over to my bit eventually, or would vigorous weeding stop them?

Yes they could spread, but vigorous weeding on your plot would not stop it coming back. You'd have to do next doors as well!!

In that case, then weed killer it is! Would have been easier for the council to have given me the plot next door too, seeing as the same person owned them both! Ah well, here's to praying that the good Lord grants me the strength and patience to deal with bindweed other weeds AND slugs, snails, ants..............

DD.

• Global Moderator
Bindweed - help!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 13:31 »

In that case, then weed killer it is! Would have been easier for the council to have given me the plot next door too, seeing as the same person owned them both!

Did you ask them?? We kept asking & kept being given! Ended up with 3 plots. Stopped asking once we'd got one with a decent shed on it. :D

jacnal

Bindweed - help!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 13:39 »

In that case, then weed killer it is! Would have been easier for the council to have given me the plot next door too, seeing as the same person owned them both!

Did you ask them?? We kept asking & kept being given! Ended up with 3 plots. Stopped asking once we'd got one with a decent shed on it. :D

I've asked a few times. I'm now on a waiting list for people already with plots, and I've been told not to hold my breath. A few people have looked at the plot but no one's taken it yet. The amount of weed and grass is probably putting them off. Asked my husband and in-laws to join the waiting list too, you never know.......

DD.

• Global Moderator
Bindweed - help!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 13:42 »
Asked my husband and in-laws to join the waiting list too, you never know.......

A cunning plan!!!

jacnal

Bindweed - help!
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 13:45 »
Asked my husband and in-laws to join the waiting list too, you never know.......

A cunning plan!!!

He he he!

If you can't make them reason, develop a cunning plan  :wink:

noshed

Bindweed - help!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 15:43 »
I pursuaded my neighbour to get out the glyphosate and it has made a big difference. I only have my own to worry about now.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

question
what to do with bindweed??

Started by Loopyjump on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 11:47
by mumofstig
xx
Bindweed

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 14:30
by Kristen
xx
bindweed

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 09:40
by Kristen
xx
Bindweed

Started by Fafafifi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2006, 14:03
by Verminer

Page created in 1.967 seconds with 36 queries.