pigeon

• 3 Replies

pauly58

• Experienced Member
pigeon
« on: October 22, 2012, 21:45 »
can i make fertilizer from pigeon poo

Spelling of "Pigeon" corrected re search purposes.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 22:06 by DD. »
pauly

bainsk8

Re: pigeon
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 00:13 »
Type "Pigeon Guano" into Google and there is a lot of information that supports it as an extremely good fertilizer. This was taken from one search result.

"Pigeon guano, for instance, has been prized in Europe as a super-manure since the Middle Ages when folks kept dovecotes and pigeon lofts atop their houses, growing the squabs for food and using the manure to fertilize gardens and fields. Pigeon manure rates higher than other fowl at 4.2% nitrogen, 3% phosphorus, and 1.4% potassium. It is harder to find and gather than other manures, and is best if composted thoroughly before using."

Source: Taunton's Complete Guide to Growing Vegetables and Herbs - online version

That said there are also the same number of results pointing out concerns about health, and the diseases that wild pigeons deposit in their faeces.

Personally if I kept Pigeons I would use their faeces, as one way or another it would eventually return to the ground. Just handle it wisely making sure you wash after and maybe wear a breathing mask if it is dry and dusty. If you do, do report back as it would be interesting to see/read your results.

Edit to attribute quote.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:38 by arugula »
If at first you don't succeed, try a different method.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 08:55 »
Used pigeon dung a lot when my uncle had a racing loft, very good stuff after it has rotted a bit !
He would spray water in the loft to damp it down before cleaning to cut down on dust then bagging it up  this also germinated any dropped grain and started the rotting process.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 15:23 »
I have racing pigeons and always used their manure. In fact, I have to fight off my mother who'd gladly take most of it for her blueberries and other plants  :D

Like any manure, the dry stuff is dusty so a cheap mask is a good idea. I mostly direct spread ours in the fall so it can break down over winter.

xx
Very dry pigeon poo

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 07, 2011, 08:48
by mashbintater
xx
pigeon p**

Started by Charlie on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post December 13, 2007, 22:49
by noshed
xx
Pigeon poo!

Started by foxi loxi on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 08:25
by Christine
xx
Pigeon....muck

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 22:48
by MOLUSC

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 29 queries.