chicks and grass

• 4 Replies

wildy78

chicks and grass
« on: May 24, 2011, 21:37 »
Ok, now i think i may have jumped the gun a bit.  My chicks and broody have been on the grass in our garden since they were born, so far no problems, up until i moved the pen slightly at the weekend.  The grass on the new area was quite long (about 1 inch).  I have looked in on them all tonight and gone to move the pen / coop again due to the mess they are making and it appears that a few of the chicks have very large crops.  I have massaged them a little to try to aid it a bit and will see what the outcome is tomorrow.

Questions.
1: Should they be allowed on grass yet at 3 weeks old.
2: When should i move them into a larger coop / pen permanantly to grow on  to laying size.
3:Can i give the chicks olive oil to free the crop if necessary.

They all seem happy with the current arragement but the pen and coop is small and i would like to get them all back to the yard where the other chickens are for ease and ready for introducing them.

4:Should i keep them at home on shorter grass for another 3 weeks till mommy is ready to get back with the other girls.

Sorry its so long winded.
1 wife, 1 daughter, 2 dogs, 1 horse, 1 Copper black maran, 1 Cherry Maran, 1 Speckled, 1 Sussex, 1 welsummer, 1 dorking, 1 silver laced wyandotte
6 new arrivals - 3 welsummers 3 barnvelder.
5 more new arrivals (pullets) - white star, fenton blue, fenton rose, plymouth rock, silver sussex

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: chicks and grass
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 21:42 »
are you sure they have not just crops that are full from eating? Mine go on grass from day one and I have never had crop problems with chicks. See what their crops are like in the morning.
Staffies are softer than you think.

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 21:47 »
I agree with Joyfull. I've always kept chicks and broodies on grass about this length from day one and have never had a problem. Hope all goes well.

Orchardlady

wildy78

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 21:54 »
Thanks both ever so much for the quick replies.  I did think it may just be full crops, they just seemed extremely full.  Two of them stretched out and it looked like they had new heads growing  :lol:.

I will check before work tomorrow and report back.

wildy78

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:25 »
checked the chicks on several nights now about the same time and mornings and you were both right.  It appears that the chicks can eat a massive amount of food looking at the crops on them.

Thanks again for putting my mind at ease.

xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj
xx
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 10:59
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 37 queries.