Seedlings

• 4 Replies

Taimi

Seedlings
« on: March 03, 2011, 20:31 »
Hi all,

I'm growing my own plants from seed for the first time this year (eventually to be go in pots on my patio) and they're just beginning to poke through the soil.  I've been reading through the posts on the forum and I've rigged up some foil reflectors as suggested by DD but I've got a choice of two windowsills for them and i'm not sure which would be best.

I have one windowsill right on top of a radiator which  I used to encourage the seeds to germinate but now I'm not sure if it will make the plants grow too fast and become weak?

The other option is downstairs in the study with no radiator but the room tends to be quite cold and I was worried they might get too chilly here!  Both windows are on the same wall so same amount of light etc.

I'm growing runner beans, broad beans, mange tout and tomatoes at the moment and will also be planting lettuces, patty pan squash and courgettes in a month or two. 

So, the question is - is the warmer or colder windowsill going to be better for giving my baby plants the best possible start in life?  They're in different trays so if different plants prefer different places that's not a problem.

Many Thanks,

Taimi

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 20:58 »
How cold is cold is the question! It's all relative to the plant as well.

Broad beans and mangetout do not need much heat, in fact my broad beans having been raised in a cold greenhouse are now sitting on the plot waiting to go in. They are quite happy with lower temps.

Having been germinated tomatoes will need a min temp of about 10oC.

You may have problems with your runner beans. They are very early, mine will be sown in about 6 weeks, and you won't be able to put them outside for 2 months at least yet. It's going to be a struggle to keep them going inside. Whilst they don't need a lot of heat, one whiff of frost and they're a gonner!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 21:00 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Taimi

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 21:10 »
Thanks for the advice; I'm not sure exactly what temperate my "cold" room is but its around the "wear a thick jumper and slippers" mark!  I think I will move the beans to the colder room and leave the tomatoes where they are and keep an eye that they don't get too spindly.

I didn't realise runner beans were so much more fragile than the others so I will see if I can persuade them to stay alive indoors until the weather cheers up.  Fortunately I didn't sow all of my runner bean seeds so I easily have enough for a second planting - I will sow some more in early April as you suggest so that if they do suffer for my eagerness I will have a fail safe; at the worst I will just have to eat lots of beans ;p

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 21:34 »
You'll have to excuse my manners, I forgot to say welcome to the forums.

The tomatoes should be fine with the foil, a tried & trusted method!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 09:51 »
I didn't realise runner beans were so much more fragile than the others so I will see if I can persuade them to stay alive indoors until the weather cheers up.

"Fragile" probably not the issue, its "growth rate". I expect you will be able to keep them alive indoors, but they will be 6 feet tall by the time they could go outside!

When I plant my indoor-raised plants outside I also plant a bean with the plant, for a later crop. I wonder if you could do that with your containers too?

xx
Seedlings

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 22:23
by chris23005
xx
Too hot for seedlings!!!

Started by Lee1978 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2008, 09:59
by garddwr bach
xx
My very first seedlings are through!

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post March 08, 2012, 08:16
by DD.
xx
seedlings

Started by Shelley on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2006, 12:22
by comic_muse

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 33 queries.