Garlic Troubles

• 3 Replies

TomReid

Garlic Troubles
« on: April 13, 2020, 12:45 »
Hi All! A newbie grow-your-own'er here! I've had an allotment before but this is my first where the care and responsibility is my own (Who thought that growing veg could be so emotionally tiring!)

I have been sowing onions and garlic for a couple of weeks now I had an inkling that something might be amiss over the last couple of weeks so I dug up some of the cloves today and they've ended up looking like the below.

Clearly something has taken a hold of them but wanted to see if anyone can tell me for definite if it is white rot and whether it is worthwhile to just remove the onions and start afresh. I did manage to grow some spring onions without issue in the same plot last year so I would have thought they would have been affected.

Tom
Garlic Fungus.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Garlic Troubles
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 13:19 »
Hello and welcome to the forums  :)

Doesn't look like white rot to me - that usually starts at the bottom. I'm not entirely sure what it might be, though.

Did you plant the bulb of garlic cloves whole, or as separate cloves?  You should separate the cloves out before planting.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 15:47 »
Hi there Tom not sure I’m afraid what has hit your garlic but as Yorkie says they should be split before planting. Only other thought is you mention successful spring onions in the same plot do you mean the same bed as you should avoid planting onions or related in the same bed in successive years.
Its getting late but you might try some garlic in another bed which hasn’t had any onions or garlic, leeks recently.
Good luck HH
Keep digging

TomReid

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 19:23 »
Thanks Yorkie & HH for the advice.

Thankfully seems I remembered to plant the cloves rather than a full bulb for the rest of the row - I did have to double check though.

It is in the same bed as the spring onions but I didn't grow too much so thought I might get away with it this year. I'll definitely see if I can salvage something this late on elsewhere!

xx
Garlic Troubles

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 19:57
by garddwr
xx
more sweetcorn troubles

Started by purplebat on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 11:08
by richyrich7
sad
Tomato troubles

Started by Shaney D on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 23:27
by peapod
xx
Gooseberry troubles

Started by Neil Doncaster on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 19:32
by Neil Doncaster

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 33 queries.