more sweetcorn troubles

• 16 Replies

purplebat

more sweetcorn troubles
« on: May 08, 2008, 16:23 »
I absolutely adore sweetcorn but it is driving me bonkers :!: I've planted 3 packets of seeds in a cloche, and only 4 seeds have come up out of the whole lot; I had the same trouble last year but I must admit I was way too early, so I left it a lot later this year and I've got the same problem so what am I doing wrong  :?:  :?:  :evil:
p.s. I've also put a packet in wet kitchen roll as well and only about 12 have germinated-help!!!
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

gobs

more sweetcorn troubles
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 16:29 »
This might sound silly, but do you keep watering them, as that's all they need, warm and moist.

Can't you sow in pots in a sunny window sill or greenhouse, so they are warm and you can keep them moist?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
more sweetcorn troubles
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 16:56 »
When you did the wet kitchen roll thing, did you put the container (an airtight tupperware-type thing in my case) somewhere really warm? I put mine in my airing cupboard which gets REALLY hot and they sprouted little roots and shoots within 3 or 4 days.

woodentop

more sweetcorn troubles
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 18:48 »
I usually have great success with sweetcorn but this year only a few out of 3 packets have sprouted. I wonder if it was the duff weather last year that has affected the seeds ? They were Johnsons F1 but  I can't remember the name - only that they weren't cheap !!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
more sweetcorn troubles
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 19:00 »
I always "chit" mine with the wet kitchen roll method just leave 'em on the worktop in the kitchen they usually sprout within 2-3 days, you always get a few dud's, I used wilko's own this year and got about 78 out of 82 chit.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

purplebat

more sweetcorn troubles
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 23:05 »
cheers Guys I shall try again with the kitchen roll method and some new seeds maybe a different variety; you never know it might work, fingers crossed

peterjf

sweetcorn
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 23:16 »
we always start ours off in the greenhouse , in 4 inch pots , leave to grow 4-5 leaves then plant them on the final plot , we have 50 growing and they all about 2 inches high

purplebat

Re: sweetcorn
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 23:18 »
Quote from: "peterjf"
leave to grow 4-5 leaves

I'd be happy if they had one leaf! :lol:   :lol:  :lol:

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
more sweetcorn troubles
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 22:42 »
I put one packet straght into pots and only half germinated so I bought another packet and tried the kitchen roll method and three quarters germinated which is strange as I had 100% germination in pots last year so perhaps it was this year's seed quality to blame.
My two packets are different varieties so I expect I'd better keep them in seperate blocks and not get the pots mixed up.

muntjac

more sweetcorn troubles
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 23:27 »
i soak mine on kitchen roll. then sow next day in toilet roll inners / dont forget to  grease the ankles of each plant :wink:  no earwigies to wreck the cobs :twisted:..... "  werks for me "
still alive /............

yummy

more sweetcorn troubles
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 18:31 »
We must be lucky so far this year... we sowed ours last weekend and stuck them outside in the sun. 100% germination and they are approaching 2 inches high already. We just need to make sure they are pollinated properly this year - had lots last year that had only half formed cobs. good luck with yours.

Wombat

more sweetcorn troubles
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 19:38 »
Mine are about 3-4 inches high in 3-inch peat pots and the roots are starting to come through the bottoms.  Is this going to be a problem?  I was not thinking of planting out for a few weeks yet.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
more sweetcorn troubles
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 20:15 »
Quote from: "Wombat"
Mine are about 3-4 inches high in 3-inch peat pots and the roots are starting to come through the bottoms.  Is this going to be a problem?  I was not thinking of planting out for a few weeks yet.

Wouldn't have thought so just keep them watered, mine are in paper pots about the same height, mine will not be allowed out to play until June either  :lol:

Wombat

more sweetcorn troubles
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 21:23 »
Thanks, Richy.  I have read that they don't like root disturbance, so wondered if I had better do something about it e.g. put them out under pop-bottle cloches.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
more sweetcorn troubles
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 20:31 »
Quote from: "Wombat"
Thanks, Richy.  I have read that they don't like root disturbance, so wondered if I had better do something about it e.g. put them out under pop-bottle cloches.

Is that after planting out ?? if they are hardened off then don't bother unless it looks like it's going to be really cold, if they are not hardened then I'd just keep them as they are, a few roots hanging out won't do any harm IMHO,

I use paper pots for sweetcorn, runners etc they tend to be a little deeper than peat pots so roots take a little longer to show and cheaper  :D

Like I say mine wont go in the ground till June unless it's the last week of May and the forecast is good.

sad
Tomato troubles

Started by Shaney D on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 23:27
by peapod
xx
Turnip Troubles

Started by wet behind the ears on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 15:50
by wet behind the ears
xx
Gooseberry troubles

Started by Neil Doncaster on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 19:32
by Neil Doncaster
xx
Garlic Troubles

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 19:57
by garddwr

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 36 queries.