poorly sweetcorn

• 19 Replies

BabbyAnn

Re: poorly sweetcorn
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 13:52 »
I just wish mine would germinate!  When they have they've rotted off at the bottom, and I only mist them rather than water them.  Really bad luck with them this year.

have you not tried chitting the seeds first?  Really easy - a plastic tub (with lid or put inside a plastic bag), damp paper towelling, seeds on top, seal and put the whole thing somewhere warm like an airing cupboard or on top of a computer.  2-4 days later, you should have nearly 100% germination, then just pop them into pots of compost -handle the seed not the root or shoot, and do may sure the root points down if you can.  May I suggest you lightly water the compost rather than spray the plants as that is the quickest way for damping off and other rots.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 15:24 »
Ran out of room in the GH so had to put them out yesterday - all covered by a plastic bottle cloche. Took a look this morning and they are all looking fin (that'll put the kiss of death on 'em). Been blowy down here but fairly warm )

Anothe batch in the GH if it all goes pear shaped. If it stays non-pear shaped those will go in the front garden (Mrs Balders notwithstanding)   ;)

Pip pip,
Balders

ghost61

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 15:29 »
BabbyAnn, I always chit as you suggest, but return rate has been poor this year.  My friends who have the same variety also say the same (snobaby).  I think the quality of the seeds was poor.  They didn't 'look' right, if you know what I mean!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 16:16 »
BabbyAnn, I always chit as you suggest, but return rate has been poor this year.  My friends who have the same variety also say the same (snobaby).  I think the quality of the seeds was poor.  They didn't 'look' right, if you know what I mean!

ah, totally misread the post my bad sorry  :wub:  Sounds like an excuse to buy fresh seed (beware you don't get tempted to buy other seeds at the same time, says she who has just spent £11 on seeds she really didn't need ...  ;))

andy dewar

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 19:34 »
Thanks everyone il put up some protection and give them a feed fingers crossed iv got a second sowing in greenhouse just gone in so if all else fails iv got back up  :)

xx
Poorly sweetcorn!

Started by Jo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 21:50
by Wombat
xx
Poorly PSB

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 21, 2022, 14:48
by Snow
xx
Poorly Veg!

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 16:08
by paul meese
xx
onions looking poorly

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 22:15
by upert

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 33 queries.