Where to start...

• 12 Replies

Arielf

Where to start...
« on: October 31, 2008, 14:21 »
So, I've started to research gardening in the Uk..and I'm trying to relate it to gardening in the US..which is not working soo well. So, I'm gonna ask some questions, which may or may not come off as well..silly.. ^^

1) Are there gardening zones in the Uk? I know there are ones in the us..but not sure about the UK?

2) Does anyone else live near Glen Etvie? And if so, what are the conditions like there? I know some of the land can be quite accidic/peaty...

3) Where to start for gardening supplies? I'm trying to find some online sites so I can get an idea of where to start....

Thanks so much!
The only way to have a friend is to be one. -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moosey

Where to start...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 14:32 »
Hi Arielf and welcome.  Just wanted to say good luck with your search, we are currently doing the same as you but in reverse (we're heading out to Ontario, one day that can't come too soon)!!  So I understand how hard it is.

I'm not the most qualified to help you i'm afraid but I can say go to the Allotment shop link on this site for links to seed suppliers and equipment sites.

Very best of luck :)
We all have wings but some of us don't know why.

Lynne

Where to start...
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 14:46 »
Hi Arielf

Temperatures can vary considerably across the UK, so whereas Cornwall can be mild in winter, Scotland isn't. There are members who live in Scotland, so I'm sure they will advise when they see your post.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Where to start...
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 15:31 »
Hi Arielf. Although I don't know Glen Etive specifically I'm pretty familiar with the wider area between Oban and Ballachulish. My other half is from Port Appin. In terms of the soil it's likely that it will be acidic and quite shallow although there are some limestone outcrops - Lismore is limestone and therefore quite alkaline but I think you're probably on a granite bedrock and therefore moderately acidic. This whole area has been periodically under ice during past ice ages and Rannoch Moor was the glacial epicentre. On each period of glaciation the ground was scraped to bare rock so the soil can be quite thin.  Conversely there are also areas of peat although these areas tend to be pretty waterlogged.  There are a lot of high mountains therefore the rainfall will be higher than in more eastern areas.  I'm not too sure about winter weather but the trend has been for warmer, wetter weather over the last few years. The ski centre in Glencoe has suffered as a result.  If you're close to Loch Etive then it's unlikely that you'll get much snow however move further up the glen towards Rannoch Moor and you'll probably find it slightly colder.  In the summer there is a lot of daylight and it probably doesn't get dark until 10 or 11 pm.  You might also catch the red deer trying to steal your veg especially when they come down from the hills in the winter.

I think the key is to create sheltered areas in which to grow and then feed the soil. I would imagine you'll be able to get hold of plenty manure from the local farms.  I know a few people over on the Isle of Lismore which is not far from you and they grow a whole range of crops. The usual things like potatoes, roots, brassicas (esp. kale) will all grow well but you'll be able to grow a whole range of summer vegetables and things like pumpkins and squash. You might find them slow to ripen but I've finished mine off indoors on a windowsill. If you've got a greenhouse then you'll be able to grow tomatoes and chillies and other hot weather plants.  Soft fruits will do well so there's a lot to choose from.

There's some good fishing in that area too. I like to stop off on my way to Port Appin on a warm summer's evening and fish for trout on Lochan na h-Achlaise.

Hope this helps

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Where to start...
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 17:25 »
can u explain gardening zones?

when u say gardening supplies do u mean tools or seeds or both?

Arielf

Where to start...
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 17:40 »
Quote from: "Rampant_Weasel"
can u explain gardening zones?

when u say gardening supplies do u mean tools or seeds or both?

The US is broken up into different zones, like 7c and 7a, depending on tempurates and when the frost comes, ect..

and sources for tools and seeds, please..I'll also eventually want to get a few sheep and some chickens ^^

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Where to start...
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 17:49 »
The closest place will probably be Fort William with Oban being the next closest.  It's still going to be a fair distance to drive.  I think they've got a Homebase and B&Q in both FW and Oban. You'll get more choice online though. If I were you I'd order the seeds online (Marshalls Seeds is a good place to start) and buy the tools from the shop.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
Where to start...
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 17:53 »
you will find that the American zones do not really work here; as they are based on minimum temp, and all of Britain is relatively warm, most of the country would come out as similar zones to (say) northern Florida. BUT Summers are much cooler and wetter than in comparative American zones. In southern England, that means that semi tender plants usually survive outside all year (dahlias, some palms) but I would not try these as far north as you are, but the cool summers mean that we can struggle to grow crops that do well in the northern prairies (this year some squashes were problematic, and soy(a) is marginal at best.

Charlie

paintedlady

Where to start...
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 19:08 »
I think the main thing you need to consider is when is the last frost (obviously not a precise science but there is a big difference between north & south of the British Isles and how close to the coast can also have an effect) and at the other end, when is the first frost!  There is at least a 2-3 week difference if not a shade more.

This means a very short growing period outdoors for the more tender plants, so will require a little more thought about shelters and making use of south facing walls or fences etc.

On the plus side are daylight hours - in Scotland the summer daytime hours are much longer, but in winter it is a lot shorter than down south.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

sclarke624

Arielf

Where to start...
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 19:57 »
You guys are teh best!

Thanks!

noshed

Where to start...
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 22:36 »
You say that now, but where are the chicken pictures?
Sorry, they don't have to be yours.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Arielf

Where to start...
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 12:28 »
Quote from: "noshed"
You say that now, but where are the chicken pictures?
Sorry, they don't have to be yours.

::looks very confused::::

xx
New Start

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 00:28
by Kristen
xx
Where to start ?

Started by kevinp on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 12:57
by potatogrower
xx
About to start...

Started by Nevthedigger on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 23:26
by Nevthedigger
xx
Where do I start

Started by joyboy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 03, 2009, 22:31
by SalJ1980

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 37 queries.