Couch Grass

• 24 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Couch Grass
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 17:25 »
As daft as it sounds I think horsetail has brains, one thing I notice is if you knock it down it comes up, knock down it again and again it pops up, after a while it realizes that everytime I pop up me head, it gets knocked off so this time I will pop but spread flat on the surface, dont know if any one else has noticed this, but now I use the beast and the whole area gets turned over, I have noticed its working and fewer plants are popping up.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

worzel gummidge

Couch Grass
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 21:49 »
couch grass sounds good to me gets me out of going shopping on saturday mornings (even though i don't have any) don't tell the misses :wink:
if in doubt....... pull it out

WG.

Couch Grass
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 22:03 »
Quote from: "worzel gummidge"
couch grass sounds good to me gets me out of going shopping on saturday mornings (even though i don't have any) don't tell the misses :wink:
I'll mail you some cuttings if you'd like to avoid telling lies ...  :wink:

Motivator

• Experienced Member
    • http://Napit.co.uk
Couch Grass
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 22:12 »
Cooch grass a old friend of mine , Like all the other guys say dig it right
out . The old round up will knock it for six but takes a while . Its a pain
but bindweed thats a real shocker horrid stuff .
Digging ,Growing ,& the sport of kings.

sweet nasturtium

Couch Grass
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 00:02 »
Thanks everybody for helping us settle our scores on this, we have had peace talks and come to a verbal agreement (now written) on the following strategy.  We will turn over the soil, pull out the weeds and build a riddle in which to dry them out and then burn them.  I don't know what a riddle is, but OH does, so that's his job and guess which will be mine!  

I'll come back to discuss bindweed at a later date...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Couch Grass
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 06:59 »
Quote from: "nasturtium"
 I don't know what a riddle is, but OH does, so that's his job and guess which will be mine!  

I'll come back to discuss bindweed at a later date...

Riddle - a question or statement so framed as to exercise one's ingenuity in answering it or discovering its meaning; conundrum. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry, sense of humour failure!!!!! Try this one....

a coarse sieve, as one for sifting sand in a foundry.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

andy a

Couch Grass
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2007, 10:44 »
I have had problems with couch grass on my plot. Several months of continued forking/raking & still coming through in areas. Because we had a large area to clear, we have tried putting down an old heavy duty tarpaulin on an untouched part. This kept water and light off this bit of the plot. A year later pulled back the tarp, a quick rake over & planted Potatoes & Toms.

They are growing well with only the normal weeds to content with.

hope this helps

sweet nasturtium

Couch Grass
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 00:44 »
Effort of sense of humour attempt appreciated :roll:
Thanks for telling me what a riddle is, now I'll be able to make the contraption and he can weed and dig!
Having said that, Mrs Allotment Committee lady told me no fires, but no-one takes any notice so I shan't worry.  She says people should just dry the weeds out.  But can the grass grow back from dried???  I know mother nature can be very persistent.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Couch Grass
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 06:45 »
Quote from: "nasturtium"
Effort of sense of humour attempt appreciated :roll:
Thanks for telling me what a riddle is, now I'll be able to make the contraption and he can weed and dig!
Having said that, Mrs Allotment Committee lady told me no fires, but no-one takes any notice so I shan't worry.  She says people should just dry the weeds out.  But can the grass grow back from dried???  I know mother nature can be very persistent.

Or save yourself the work in making one..

ebay

Also, you may think you have dried the stuff out but.........

You could always try 'drowing it' to make a liquid feed. That way it's contained.

brinylon

Couch Grass
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 18:28 »
Tomatoes apparently are the only vegetable which can "confuse" couch grass. I'm trying this out. Things are good so far, but then I have little on my spuds. And beetroot. Probably just good weeding.

I was corrected (very sternly) for saying couch (as in sofa) rather than cooooch. I reckon the sofa reasoning is very convincing.

xx
couch grass

Started by alfieplot162 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 21:34
by LittleSlugInTheNorth
xx
Couch grass

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 31, 2022, 10:54
by rowlandwells
xx
couch grass

Started by allotmentann on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 15:51
by Aidy
xx
couch grass

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 10:44
by djbnat

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 35 queries.