Too late to sow leeks ?

• 4 Replies

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
Too late to sow leeks ?
« on: June 12, 2007, 12:30 »
Pretty much as title ! We're darn sarf in the warm...
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

WG.

Too late to sow leeks ?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 12:33 »
You'd get baby leeks (and very nice they are too).  I'll be sowing some next few days

Please try the Search button at the top of this page since I recall seeing earlier postings on this subject.  Fill in the search fields as described but do post again if you can't find the answers you need (or even if you just feel like posting again  :D )

Search for Keywords: leek*
Display results as: Posts
Return first: all available characters of posts

duncan

Re: Too late to sow leeks ?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 16:03 »
Quote from: "fibilou"

dont think leeks have been very good this year ive plant sow seeds in feb i got a very few out of about 250 seeds 20 made plugs  but there doing well very strong......i have others which are like blades of grass see if they make anything  a friend as sown leeks a couple of weeks ago in the green house in the tomato bed they look fine but showing no signs of making strong plants maybe its the heat .......... :(  anyway will stick them in the garden ........i would sow the leeks you have depends which they are (winter leeks would be best to sow now) dec jan feb......should be ok.... they have 5 months to grow and we also have a mild winter these days!!!!!!!!!!!!
growing big onions  leeks parsnips carrots ..

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Too late to sow leeks ?
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 16:17 »
Quote from: "duncan"
Quote from: "fibilou"

dont think leeks have been very good this year ive plant sow seeds in feb i got a very few out of about 250 seeds 20 made plugs  but there doing well very strong......i have others which are like blades of grass see if they make anything  a friend as sown leeks a couple of weeks ago in the green house in the tomato bed they look fine but showing no signs of making strong plants maybe its the heat .......... :(  anyway will stick them in the garden ........i would sow the leeks you have depends which they are (winter leeks would be best to sow now) dec jan feb......should be ok.... they have 5 months to grow and we also have a mild winter these days!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine are fine - you won't have seen this as a newcomer to the forum, Duncan, so here's how I go about it...

LEEKS
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Martin

• Experienced Member
Too late to sow leeks ?
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 18:27 »
Someone was offering a tray of leeks on my local Freecycle a few days ago. You might want to join your local group and ask if anyone has some spare. Go here and search for your local group.
Additionally, there are probably a number of people like me who have largish quantities in a nursery bed and will plant on in a few weeks time, so will have spares.
Maybe update your profile to say where you are?
Martin

xx
to late to sow leeks?

Started by Sheena on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 08:31
by mum of 3
xx
Too late to sow leeks?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 05:59
by Growster...
xx
Bit late with the leeks.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 16, 2023, 05:55
by simon hughes
xx
too late for leeks

Started by neatntidy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 11, 2015, 13:37
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 36 queries.