New plot

• 4 Replies

Fluff

• Experienced Member
New plot
« on: December 02, 2006, 18:15 »
Got my five peg now and wanted to share the moment with you folks.  :lol:
can anyone advise on how to upload photos.
Also would like some opinion.
The plot is fairly overgrown grass weed bramble. That however is not the problem on first analysis soil looks quite stoney I wanted to know  how to read the soil to find out if it is missing anything. Does it need feeding horse manure /lime etc . I know you can get soil test kits to get a guage but this seems a bit scientific.  Is it best to weed leave and grow a range in a trial n error fashion an see what copes dies or thrives etc.

As a new boy would welcome all opinion comment. Have been reading the month to month diaries which are good reading and informative.

Cheers Fluff
NOT ARF !

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
New plot
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 19:05 »
Best way I found was to talk to the other plot holders see what grows well that will give you a good idea where to start. As for the soil pick up a small handfull rub it between your hands and fingers you will feel the soil make up eg clay tends to be smooth, sandy soil is gritty and so on. I smell it as well ( yes weird I know but it works for me ) does it smell  loamy , sour etc all will give you an idea.
Hope this helps.
Rich
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Fluff

• Experienced Member
New plot
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 19:26 »
Sorry realised that there are several post already on this subject .have read them now. Thanks for the soil analysis tip tho.  Any views on percentage space set aside to potatoes carrots garlic etc etc

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
New plot
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 20:43 »
As daft as it sounds I just look at how much of something we eat!
potatoes I buy from my local farm at £5 a 25kg bag so I only grow early varieties and so on. Also some plants crop heavier than others per sq yard, If you can get a copy of "food from your garden" by the readers digest I get most of my info from that, "vegetable garden expert" is also very good, charity shop finds are usually really cheap  :lol: or try your local library. Usually lots of lush weeds means its fairly fertile soil, don't manure where your carrots are going, else they all end up looking like something from "thats life"!

wellingtons

Hi Fluff ...
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 22:47 »
... I tend to think about what I want to eat first and what I use most of and what's expensive to buy.  

So ... I have quite a large herb bed, lots of garlic, onions and broccoli.  I plant different types of lettuce and harvest it young, topped up with rocket and spinach giving me a constant supply of  varied salad leaves throughout the summer.

I plant early spuds and salad types (pink fur apple this year).  But I tend to grow a row of this and a row of that, lots of variety rather large quantities.  

Good luck!

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
My new plot

Started by stentman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2009, 18:21
by stentman
xx
I've been given a plot!

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 19:11
by brucesgirl

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 37 queries.