Companion planting ... will any variety work ?

• 7 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Companion planting ... will any variety work ?
« on: January 03, 2014, 20:53 »
Just in the process of looking through the seed catalogues and the term companion planting keeps getting mentioned.

For example, for beans ... nasturtiums are mentioned, and marigolds are thought to be good in a greenhouse to keep whitefly away.

For the nasturtiums and the marigolds, will any variety do, or are there specific ones for optimum effect.

thanks

ididntdoit

Re: Companion planting ... will any variety work ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 23:05 »
My particular experience of nasturtiums is that they attract blackfly like almost nothing else. I wouldn't plant them withtin a mile of any veg I had.

As far as marigolds go, aim for the simple single flowered ones, these attract the insects which may help you.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 23:13 »
Just in the process of looking through the seed catalogues and the term companion planting keeps getting mentioned.

For example, for beans ... nasturtiums are mentioned, and marigolds are thought to be good in a greenhouse to keep whitefly away.

For the nasturtiums and the marigolds, will any variety do, or are there specific ones for optimum effect.

thanks

Tagettes are the marigold for with tomatoes,I grow them every year around them. Nasturtiums do attract black fly & can be used as a sacrificial crop to protect the beans.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 09:20 »
Tagetes in the greenhouse does seem to work as a whitefly deterrent (I say "seem to" because there is no way of knowing whether I would have had them if I didn't grow the marigolds.  :unsure:)

I wouldn't risk using alliums planted near or amongst carrots to confuse and therefore deter carrot fly - I still think you need luck for it to work 100%, and given the havoc they can wreak I wouldn't like to bet on me being luckier than the flies!

I've never really understood the sacrificial nasturtium idea - blackfly can and do migrate from one plant to another, so providing a large breeding colony of them near your beans or whatever doesn't seem like a great idea to me.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:42 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 09:21 »
I think that the numbers of blackfly increase where there is a food source. If they've found your beans quickly it's because the nasturtiums attracted them to your plot in the first place.

Throw the sacrificial nasturtiums away and the beans will still have blackfly - that's the way it seems to work IMO.

Tagetes do keep the whitefly out of greenhouses, but marigolds, in general, seem to be good slug food  :(

I like to grow sweetpeas with any climbing beans to attract bees etc for pollination  ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 11:11 »
Ordinary tagetes from a garden centre (or grown from seed) do keep off whitefly in the greenhouse. One year, my plants failed to grow and I had whitefly for the first time.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 11:40 »

I like to grow sweetpeas with any climbing beans to attract bees etc for pollination  ;)

Never thought of that one ... seems a good idea

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 12:21 »
I think it is he smell of the tagetes foliage that deters whitefly.

I just grew normal french marigolds alongside the tomatoes last year and had no whitefly.

I know that greenhouse whitefly and the whitefly on cabbages and other brassicas are different, but I do wonder if the same will work for them. I always seem to be plagued by the snowstorm by the end of the season.

I'm going to give it a go this year to find out. They will at least look pretty and the bees like them  ;)

If anyone does already know the answer of course .........
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
companion planting didn't work

Started by Sue32 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 16:08
by janiejakemum
xx
Companion planting!

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 07, 2018, 09:01
by sunshineband
xx
companion planting

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 22:19
by Flump
xx
Companion Planting

Started by sueanthony on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 17:21
by sueanthony

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 34 queries.