Another sick Bluebelle ????

• 4 Replies

akeleychooks

Another sick Bluebelle ????
« on: August 20, 2011, 20:57 »
Hi all,
Any help would be much appreciated!  We purchased our first group of hens about a month ago.  6 in total of mixed hybrids pol hens.   After about 3 weeks, the bluebelle became very lethargic, stopped eating, drinking and moving about.  Her comb flopped and she was a bit messy at the back.  After a trip to the vet and some antibiotics that only perked her up a bit, we sadly took her back to the breeder.

My husband came back with another bluebelle and a black rock, so to introduce 2 new ones together.   This was on Wednesday and all was good.   Last night the bluebelle went into the coop with the all the others at dusk, but this morning she didnt come out.   I carried her down and she was in a lethargic state.   She wasn't interested in any food or water and very much like the previous hen, just stands still and appears to be falling asleep on her feet.  Tonight we had to lift her into the coop.

Has anyone any ideas what is wrong with her?  Is it a co-incidence that this is the 2nd bluebelle that has become sick.  The breeder cannot beleive it is a disease as all others are fine.   

We can't beleive how she was absolutely fine yesterday and appears so sick today.

Please help!

Thanks
JB

NormandyMary

Re: Another sick Bluebelle ????
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 22:29 »
A warm welcome to the board. Im afraid Im not very good with illnesses, however Im sure that before long someone will be around to help. I hope that your bluebelle recovers soon.

All the very best,

Mary.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 22:36 »
what did the vet say was wrong with the first bluebelle when they treated it?
Staffies are softer than you think.

akeleychooks

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 07:01 »
Thanks Mary.

The vet didn't diagnose anything specific. They said she had lost lots of weight and was dehydrated (I could have told them that).

Sadly she passed away in the night.  24 hours after showing signs of any ilness.

I just wonder if the breeder is being dishonest and there is a problem with his bluebells, or if there is another problem with our coop or garden that has caused the problems. 

All remaining chickens are fine at the moment...... Thankfully

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 08:59 »
We keep bluebelles and never had a bit of a problem with them.  I would change breeders to be honest, especially if your others are OK.

xx
i got bluebelle..... and elvis has found his voice

Started by babe on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 22:59
by slowef
xx
Unbelieveable! Four eggs laid by my bluebelle in one day - not good news

Started by caralouise1974 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 09:07
by caralouise1974
xx
Sick hen

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 22:45
by ANHBUC
xx
I think my hen is sick

Started by Cat on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 05:33
by Cat

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 29 queries.