Another Manure question

• 5 Replies

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
Another Manure question
« on: March 11, 2013, 21:48 »
Na then.  I inherited a half plot last year (sept time) that was in a great condition.  Few weeds, but they pose an easy task to get rid of.  Speaking to other plot holders on the site I decided to give manuring a miss this year as the chap who let it go kept it well and the soil looks top notch.  Plus I didn't have owt to spread.

Recently I shared a load of manure with some other plot holders and got it stored and covered ready for next year.  Now, here's the thing, will it be ready by the end of this year or will it need to be kept for longer?  Do I just leave it alone or does it need constant moving / turning etc.

If it's not ready for next growing season, is that stuff you get in bags from garden centres etc any good?  Or do you have to store that as well?

Thanks in advance. :)

grinling

Re: Another Manure question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 22:01 »
Was it fresh manure from a reliable source or rotted stuff?
Should be fine later on, but will shrink down. You could try planting cougettes, cucumbers and squashes in it.

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 22:06 »
It was very fresh, my son helped me barrow it from the drop site to our plot.  He wasn't very happy :) :)  He also didn't appreciate my comments of "It'll put hairs on yer chest like velvet"  :lol:

There was lots of, what appears to be grass in it.  Not much actual straw. 

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 22:09 »
If you can smell a manure smell , it is not ready. Keep it covered and it will be ok to use in the next winter period. I would rough dig the plot , spread the manure over the top and leave it alone. In the spring it will have disappeared if the worm's have done their job properly.

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 22:34 »
If you can smell a manure smell , it is not ready. Keep it covered and it will be ok to use in the next winter period. I would rough dig the plot , spread the manure over the top and leave it alone. In the spring it will have disappeared if the worm's have done their job properly.
Brilliant, thanks.  So even if it still has a funky smell to it it'll be ok to spread over the plot? 

bricoop

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 10:17 »
hey up i new member also. try bagging your hoss muck ive bin doin for years and it works for me o.k.
B C

xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
to manure or not to manure that is the question?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 01, 2019, 14:54
by JimB
xx
manure question

Started by Juli on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 29, 2012, 16:52
by JayG
xx
yet ANOTHER manure question

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 22, 2013, 17:35
by Yana

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 28 queries.