Compost question

• 3 Replies

Geordie

Compost question
« on: August 21, 2011, 18:34 »
I have 2 dalek type compost bins that I have been filling over the last couple of months. Whenever I top them up the level always drops down after a few days which is what I would expect.

I recently tried to turn over the contents with my fork to try and introduce some air, and even though everything seems to be decomposing it does seem a little damp and wet in the middle - a bit like wet grass cuttings.

I have been composting potato tops, kitchen veg peelings, cabbage leaves, beetroot/carrot tops and grass cuttings. I also throw in the odd shredded paper and cardboard.

I am unsure if I have the mix right between green and brown waste?? Is there any way to tell??

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Compost question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 18:39 »
It sounds as though you have the mix quite good. There's no totally accurate science to it, but if it wasn't decomposing at all or going sludgy I'd suggest more cardboard or brown material or even some air. Just keep it going, keep it warm to allow it to break down and don't let it get too wet, although it doesn't sound as though you are...

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 19:51 »
Regular turning speeds things up quite nicely. I run the mower over all the large stuff to get it going quicker, like; potato tops, cabbage leaves, broad bean plants, hedge trimings...  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 10:35 »
You can actually lay stuff out to dry before adding it to the compost bin so that it turns brown before adding it. No good if a deluge is forecast though so you have to pick your times.  I would give it a stir or broddle it with a long pole or stick to get some air into it.  Is it out in the sun as that is best rather than it being in  too much shade.

xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
compost question

Started by binner on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 16:05
by binner
xx
Compost question

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 21:34
by SkipRat
xx
Another compost question sorry

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 23:44
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 32 queries.