What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #1575 on: November 19, 2014, 13:40 »
Well I planned to go to the lottie today (haven't been up there to garden for nearly 2 months  :ohmy:) and both waking up  all snotty and sneezy and the rain have scuppered my plans! :(

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #1576 on: November 19, 2014, 13:47 »
2 months!!! Think your neighbours must have been on the verge of sending out a search party.

Hope you feel better soon.  :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1577 on: November 19, 2014, 14:34 »
I've been up to harvest stuff, see to the chooks etc but just haven't had time on dry days to do any gardening
My backgarden and greenhouse are looking neglected as well ::)

I don't feel particularly ill - it just bothers me that whenever I'm on annual leave I get poorly! :mad:

Paul Plots

« Reply #1578 on: November 20, 2014, 14:16 »
Lawns cut today - ours at home, my mother's and my cousins next-door where I have two veg of my three veg plots. Not too wet.

Now to work up enthusiasm to sort out a barrow load of gladioli - trim, store and dry.

Alternatively I could just sit and relax for an hour while a carer is taking my place?  :unsure:
Lazy soooo & so.  :blush: I better get out there and make the best of the dry.

Keep at it Kevin - even the experts don't know everything and what works for one may not for another. It's all about experience and common sense as well as determination and a sense of adventure. The on-line course sounds interesting. :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1579 on: November 24, 2014, 17:06 »
Looked at the sky....

Anne

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #1580 on: November 25, 2014, 18:13 »
Used my brand new towbar today. Borrowed my mate's trailer and managed to collect 20 bags of horse manure for the allotment. 17 bags in the trailer and 3 in the car boot. Hoping to spread over next time I'm off from work!
 :)

Ema

« Reply #1581 on: November 26, 2014, 12:08 »
me and OH went to the plot for 3 hours on Tuesday. The plot has been very neglected over the last few months as I’ve been revising for an exam.

We took the bean frame down and the twine off the pea frame OH dug this bed over and then we covered it with some plastic sheeting.

Cut down the fartachokes - the wind has pulled a few root tubers above ground but no time to dig these all up. If anyone has any tips for cleaning/skinning these that would be much appreaciated there so fiddly.

Dug up 2 rows of Sarpo Mira spuds about 12 plants made a good tugs full. A vole had made himself a nice home in an amongst the straw around the spuds and has been stashing chestnuts and broad beans as well as eating my spuds threw a carrier bag of nibbled spuds out, dont like to share my food!

Dug up 2 Oca plants, dispite the frost not having got to them these were a really good harvest. The white/yellow tubers are much bigger than the pink ones I'd grown last year.

Picked some celery, lettuce,  beetroot and carrots.

Made a mental note of everything else that needs doing down there!

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1582 on: November 29, 2014, 16:32 »
Took down the old raspberry frame that was rotten and replaced it with a new one, then tied in the canes.
Did the same with the old blackberry frame but two of the meta post sockets had rusted away, so collected two new ones on the way home to fit tomorrow.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1583 on: November 29, 2014, 22:04 »
Fleeced the chards, kales and swedes- I know they don't need it, but was more to keep the pesky cats and foxes from trampling them all down again.
Mulched the rhubarb crowns with manure

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #1584 on: November 29, 2014, 22:23 »
... two of the meta post sockets had rusted away...

I didn't think they did that. How about treating the new ones with Hammerite or some such thing before putting them in? The cost of the paint is far less than the extended life, cost and annoyance for it to happen again.

(Don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar, comes to mind.)
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1585 on: November 30, 2014, 16:05 »
Thanks for the advice Kevin67, I had done that before I saw your post this afternoon,great minds think alike!
Finished off the frame work and tied in the blackberry whilst TOH spread manure on next years brassica plot and covered it for the winter.
Harvested some of the remaining crops and went home for a bath!!!

pompeyboy61

« Reply #1586 on: November 30, 2014, 18:10 »
Tidied up my ' Man Shed ' took me 3 hours , finding items I needed before but  it could never find. Tools cleaned , oiled and rehung. Cleaned around the outside and put done fresh woodchip. Looking good , with only a few jobs left to do . Can't wait for the spring to get going again.

ptarmigan

« Reply #1587 on: December 01, 2014, 11:19 »
2 hours at the weekend.  Tidied up the compost bins and watched a completely unafraid rat stroll around the shed end of the allotment.  Tidied up two more beds - dug grass out from round the fruit bushes.  Need to tidy up generally to give him less room to hide. Gorgeous sunny day - in a T-shirt.

AnneB

« Reply #1588 on: December 03, 2014, 16:15 »
Cold but sunny, so put the thermals on and spent 3 hours at the plot.

Harvested the last of the sweet peppers and chilli peppers.  Little polytunnel is now empty. 

Put in some onion sets for another plot holder.  Netted my PSB.

Harvested some leeks and a small swede.   Noted most of the field beans and all the garlic is now through.  Weeded those beds.

OH levelled ground on half the plot, laid weed suppressant fabric and covered with woodchip.  We need more woodchip now.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1589 on: December 07, 2014, 07:27 »
Harvested a few nice beetroots & some greens.  Plot looking very bedraggled but didn't have time to tidy. Was very surprised to find after roasting them 2 were golden beets!  Don't remember growing them, but they tasted really good, just didn't look like beetroot!

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 33 queries.