Will things grow?!

• 8 Replies

Kelly1976

Will things grow?!
« on: September 20, 2008, 22:35 »
Hi all,

I've just discovered that my plot has not been used for at least 10 years.  I kind of jumped into this and with waiting lists quite long took a plot that is probably not perfect - it is quite close to trees which cause a lot of shade being my major concern.  Will I being able to grow anything - something - I am not fussy?!!!!!  

I am also finding lots and lots and lots of stones, do I need to remove all of these during my digging?  Sorry for the silly questions (again).  I really am a complete novice!!!!

I have been told by several people on the same site that nothing is going to grow and I must be mad to have taken it on.

lincspoacher

Will things grow?!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 22:49 »
If things didnt grow in the shade of trees,there would be vast areas of the Uk that were bare soil.

Now its true that being in shade might slow stuff down, so you probably need to plant earlier and harvest later, but only under dense forest canopies does nothing grow, end even then SOMETHING still grows.

Prolly some of the plant experts here can tel you what veg dont mind shade.  I suspect grapes and sweetcorn are out.

vegmandan

Will things grow?!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 00:00 »
No problem.!!

There are a lot of veg that will tollerate shade,especially leafy veg like spinach,kale,lettuce etc.

Beetroot,radish and broccolli won't mind too much either.

Many fruits which are natural woodland edge plants will be fine too like Raspberries,blackcurrants,gooseberries and Rhubarb.

I know this as all my fruit bushes are right behind a 10 ft hedge and don't get any sun after 1pm.

Herbs like parsley,chives and mint are fine too.

As for digging out stones ...don't bother with anything smaller than a matchbox let's say, as stones improve drainage and they also help your soil warm up quicker and store the heat more at night.

It's onlt carrots that really need a stone free soil.

So It's not a disaster just have a bash. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

agapanthus

Will things grow?!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 00:05 »
Is there a chance you could raise the canopy of the trees? That would let more light in :)

lincspoacher

Will things grow?!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 00:34 »
I have an Evil Petrol Chainsaw of Doom, i could call round one evening and relieve you of the annoying tree problem......................

crowndale

Will things grow?!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 08:45 »
I am gradually removing all the large stones from my plot and putting them down at the entrance of my plot where it is very soft and muddy to try and make it a bit more solid.  when the tractor came with manure last year I thought it was going to tip over it sunk so low in the ground!!  hopefully this year it'll be a bit safer!!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
Will things grow?!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 09:03 »
Any chance of a picture or two, one persons deep shade can be different to others, also take a picture of the soil.

And if weeds can grow, so can veg.

Bob

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Will things grow?!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 18:28 »
If I recall the site correctly from my school days, the trees are really tall and probably council or NRA owned so can't be crown-lifted.

The others on your site, if they've been there a while, may well have some knowledge of the plot but may just be overly pessimistic.  I'd also check whether the particular plot is prone to flooding as it's quite low-lying.

I would definitely suggest removing larger stones as it's a nightmare to hoe otherwise ...

Is it too late to swap to the Broxbourne site (also next to the New River, but about a mile further north, between the church and primary school)? :wink:  Mum says there's a notice which says some of the plots are unlet!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

FCG

Will things grow?!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 22:26 »
Quote from: "lincspoacher"
I have an Evil Petrol Chainsaw of Doom,.

This made me giggle. What do you call your other tools?

'One chainsaw to rule them and in the darkness bind them'

xx
things I can't grow

Started by jaydig on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 14:47
by whitehill1
xx
Relax, things will grow

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 17:46
by woodburner
xx
Different, Exciting Things To Grow.

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 11:29
by LotuSeed
xx
Things I won't bother to grow next year.

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

111 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 01:02
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 32 queries.