Creosote

• 7 Replies

Prod

Creosote
« on: February 02, 2013, 13:23 »
Is it true that real Creosote (Coal Tar based) not the simulated kind will not only preserve your coop but will illiminate Red Mite??

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Creosote
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 13:25 »
It is, but it is now illegal for amateurs to use and should be hard to get.

We still use it on our big chicken shed as it has always been creosoted.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 13:32 »
Well I found a website that does sell it in various sizes from 20ltrs  As long as I say I am using it for 'smallholding or agricultural use' they will sell it to me & as long as I do not sell it on to the public. Its about £32 plus postage for 20ltrs.  If it prevents red mite I might get some as my coop will need doing this year anyway. How long will I need to keep the chucks out? just till it dries??

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 13:48 »
Creosote was banned for being carcinogenic Prod, so we can't be seen to promote illegal substances on the forum.  Don't want to get John into trouble!

Have pm'd you.

Prod

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 14:47 »
Hi Grannie  I understand that & I apologise if I have given the impression of promoting it.  It is just I spoke with the lady I buy my hens from and she creosotes all her coops. I was asking her was it original or substitute and she it was original coal tar creosote and, whilst it is illegal to sell to a third party or direct to the public, if you are 'smallholder' you are allowed to buy it if you so wish.  I trust that clears things up as I was not promoting or advertising the site I have found. Best regards  Paul

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 17:19 »
No that's okay Paul, I wasn't suggesting you were promoting anything, but if I came on here telling you how good creosote is, I could be seen to be telling people it's okay to use it.  See what I mean?

But the substitute stuff is useless for getting rid of red mite.  Several people on here have tried it apparently.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 18:38 »
Hi Grannie  I understand that & I apologise if I have given the impression of promoting it.  It is just I spoke with the lady I buy my hens from and she creosotes all her coops. I was asking her was it original or substitute and she it was original coal tar creosote and, whilst it is illegal to sell to a third party or direct to the public, if you are 'smallholder' you are allowed to buy it if you so wish.  I trust that clears things up as I was not promoting or advertising the site I have found. Best regards  Paul

As long as I say I am using it for 'smallholding or agricultural use' they will sell it to me & as long as I do not sell it on to the public. ... How long will I need to keep the chucks out? just till it dries??

And it's not honest to say you are a smallholder if you are not and it is also not legal to use it on any wood that was not treated with it before the ban was introduced.

I'm locking this topic now as no further discussion is necessary.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 18:41 by Aunt Sally »

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 23:57 »
Thanks Auntie!

xx
creosote

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2007, 21:36
by Aunt Sally
xx
Creosote!

Started by Mrs Tweedy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 22:40
by chickenlady
xx
creosote

Started by nicky d on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 19:09
by Aunt Sally
question
Traditional Creosote

Started by Prod on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 27, 2014, 20:58
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 35 queries.