Traditional Creosote

• 10 Replies

Prod

Traditional Creosote
« on: January 19, 2014, 14:34 »
Is it true that if you can use traditional creosote inside & outside your coop it virtually rules out getting the dreaded Red Mite?.  It is just that I have been able to help  a neighbour with a legal matter and he keeps asking what he can do to repay me, which I don't really want as he is a great guy to know, but he did say he can give me plenty of 'real' creosote as, being a farmer, he uses it all the time.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Traditional Creosote
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 14:36 »
It is illegal to use traditional creosote unless you are a professional, licensed person and are only using it to re-treat previously creosoted wood.

Chances are that you don't fall into this category and therefore the site cannot condone its usage.

It was banned because of fears about its carcinogenic properties.  Don't risk it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

grinling

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 17:56 »
 i use hillfooters slurry receipe which is great

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 18:29 »
If you were to use real creosote you would need to weather the hut for ages to let the fumes 'die' down before you could put the chooks in any way and it would be very bad for them to peck at the wood. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Prod

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 20:19 »
Ok  thanks for the info  I did buy 3 forsham arks which although oldish were in good condition. They had been creosoted from new  but after the small repairs I painted the exterior. Its just that the lady told me she, before she retired, she had a bout 40 coops, all creosoted, and never had red mite.  But I take on board what you say

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 20:45 »
We used to creosote our biggest shed mainly, when we raised poultry to sell.  It does work, but I had to re-coat every couple of years.

2 years without it and we did get red mite back in there.  So it wouldn't be a one off

georget

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 12:10 »
What is the best wood preserver for coops.I think even the creosote substitutes smell too strong for the hens to sleep in,unless you can house them elswhere until it has dried in which i can,t. ive even thought of using any old gloss paint i have lying around you could always mix colours im sure the hens wouldnt mind.What do you all use?Also would you paint the inside of the coop?...Cheers :unsure:

Prod

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 18:31 »
The 3 Forsham Arks I bought had all been treated with original Creosote, inside and out. After I made minor repairs I used Sadolin Extra Durable Black Paint, I used black because any other colour would not have covered the creosote. Although it was not cheap (what is these days) I am very pleased with the result, it certainly is weather proof as the recent wet weather has not got into them, the rain just runs off.  I was only asking about real creosote because my neighbour, who is a farmer, said he could give me some as I have 5  more coops/arks that I made myself out of tantalised wood but which will need treating this spring.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 18:37 »
That's okay Prod :)

We do have a small duty of care to point out that it's not legal for you to use it.  We always do point that out if we spot a post about it, not necessarily for the original posters benefit but for our community in general.

Prod

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 18:56 »
That's okay Prod :)

We do have a small duty of care to point out that it's not legal for you to use it.  We always do point that out if we spot a post about it, not necessarily for the original posters benefit but for our community in general.

Thanks I realise & appreciate that. I don't really fancy creosoting all, or most of my coops just for the sake of it  but to be honest it was more the Red Mite thing. The lady I bought the arks from obviously started doing so long before it was banned to the public  but she said that she never had red mite because of using it. I wondered if that were true as it might affect my decision to accept some from my neighbour.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 20:58 »
You can accept it if you have a licence to use it, but otherwise it's illegal  for you to use it.

xx
Traditional table birds.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 04, 2008, 08:08
by woodburner
xx
Creosote

Started by Prod on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 02, 2013, 23:57
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Creosote!

Started by Mrs Tweedy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 22:40
by chickenlady
xx
creosote

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2007, 21:36
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 36 queries.