Make/buy vegetable cage

• 8 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
Make/buy vegetable cage
« on: February 19, 2011, 13:41 »
Hi everyone - Hoping this is the best forum to place this question.
I'm looking for advice on either making or buying a vegetable cage to protect my vegetables this year. I'm sick and tired of trying to do battle (and losing) with all the pests that get to my plants every year. My veggie plot is at the bottom of my 100ft garden and is only a modest arrangement but I do love to pick my own runner beans etc every year. I want to grow brassicas this year but need to protect them. Are there any simple cages I could construct or buy and would you recommend a full height (6ft) version for ease of getting to plants.
We plan to grow purple sprouting broccoli, cabbage,  sprouts & spinach. Possibly a few mini cauliflowers if we have space.
Any thoughts please - I'm desperate to get started before it gets too late into the year....and hubby goes off the whole idea  ;)
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

Maryann

• Experienced Member
Re: Useful Design and Construction Links
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 13:54 »
Could anyone help me with a simple plan to construct a tall (6ft) vegetable cage. Doesn't have to be too posh and a roll up door would be fine.
Thanks if you can help (and any photos would be a bonus). My hubby is a DIY disater but he is really willing to have a go and between us we usually manage but this time I could do with some ideas from people who have already done it  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Make/buy vegetable cage
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 14:10 »
I think the tall frames work out quite expensive.

Here's a link for some ideas from the forum

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=34665.msg415429#msg415429

As you had asked the question on 2 boards I have merged them ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 14:15 by mumofstig »

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 15:01 »
Some good ideas on there - funny how when I thinking about something, someone else asks the question for me.  I have a constant battle with Cabbage White and although last years' solution of water pipe and enviromesh worked to some extent, but ....... I didn't do it properly and still got eaten brassicas.  Also had a big aphid attack on my Brussels which were again under the enviromesh.  Seeing all those ideas has given me something to ponder while I wait for it to warm up.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 17:10 »
i have made a cabbage cage in the past but found it heavy to lift.
i settled on lenths of inch by 2 inch cut to the size u want and a bit longer for the piece that goes in the ground.then i got some old tennis balls put some slits in them and stretched over the ends of the wood.then drape the netting of your choice over the whole thing and bury or peg down the edges.
the tennis balls are to stop  the wood destroying the nets.
build a ball frame at a fraction of the cost  :)

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 20:02 »
i have some pics on my gallery that might give you some ideas they were made with debris netting and some roofing battens which are real cheap

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 16:28 »
 i sympathise with you i had much the same problem with rabbits and pigeons for some  years so i finally decided to do something about it >:(

so i construct a brassica cage every year and this is my brassica cage firstly measure the brassica plot my plot is the same each year i then put knock i round post's both sides and ends about 2Mt's apart then i use 1 mtr wide wire rabbit netting but environment mesh is as good then i put the netting on the post's all the way round the plot sealing the cage i bury part of the netting in the ground but you can peg them if so desired :) 

so with the netting round the brassica plot we then need to put the top net on you will need to purchase a plastic net to cover the top as said tennis balls cut in half can be used on top of the post's i use old pop bottles cut in half using the bottom half on the top of the post you could use roof battens or laths nailed to the top of the post's without any bottles and with a piece of wood across the cage so you can role the plastic netting on and off the top when you need to weed the plot etc 8)

i use a scaffolding net its a bit heavy to put on and off but it was cheep and it does the job i know longer have any problems from rabbits or pigeons its a bit time consuming and there is an initial  cost but every thing is re-usable each year with care ;)

hope this is of some use to you good luck RW :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 17:21 »
I have used the black mesh netting from Wilko or bigger lengths from my garden centre and spread it over tall canes stuck in the ground and covered with lengths of hose pipe as a support. I do find, however, that I need to lift it off in autumn to let the birds in to eat the heeby-jeebies off my plants.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 17:45 »
i have made a fruit cage this week but same could be used as a veg cage i used the frame from an old gazebo which the cover had riped! i covered the sides in debris netting and used some reclaimed decking to make a raised bed inside ill try to get a picture up this week. I dont use it for veg though as i like to rotate the veg patch so use water pipe bent over as hoops with the debris netting over that as many people tend to do!

xx
make your own fertilisers for general allotment vegetable us

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post February 19, 2007, 23:27
by muntjac
xx
My new brassica cage

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 22:40
by Plot22
xx
Fruit Cage Help

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 17:05
by DD.
xx
What to put in a fruit cage?

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 19:01
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 37 queries.