soft fruit

• 5 Replies

Judithm

soft fruit
« on: February 21, 2013, 10:57 »
HI I planted all my soft fruit last weekend. Rasp and blackberry canes, blueberry bush, gooseberry bushes and black and red currant bushes. I have pruned them down as per intructions so I am assuming that I will not get any fruit until next year. My question is should I use any netting/protection this year. We will eventually build a fruit cage but not until next year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: soft fruit
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 11:04 »
If you've planted Autumn fruiting rasps you should get some fruit this year :)

If not and you'll get no fruit, then there is no need to net.

Judithm

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 11:08 »
Yes they are autumn rasps so we will need to net these then. What about the rest not sure if they will fruit this year does anyone know

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:45 »
It's unlikely that the others will fruit and I would actually not let them. Give them this year to build good strong root systems. I never net autumn raspberries. At that time of year there are so many things available for birds that they don't seem at all interested in the raspberries.

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 08:07 »
Yes I agree with Moose. I have never netted autumn fruiting raspberries, and don't lose many to birds. However summer fruiting raspberries and gooseberries are another matter all together. The gooseberries in particular must be netted at the start of the year next year as the birds seem really keen on the buds and can strip a whole plant. I tend to net mine with temporary nets for certain periods of time rather than all year as a fruit cage takes up a lot of room. Would love to have a fruit cage for summer raspberries.

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 08:18 »
Whether they will fruit this year or not may depend on the the age of the bushes that you have been supplied with. I bought gooseberries last spring from Mail Order Trees, three varieties, they all fruited within a few weeks of planting. I have also had fruit off blueberries the first year. (And I did lose every last one of my gooseberries, but am not sure that the cause was not more human than feathered!) :(

xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Soft fruit plants that fruit in the same year?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 16:57
by Goosegirl
xx
Soft fruit

Started by MrsPea on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 01, 2016, 18:05
by MrsPea

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 37 queries.