Runner Beans

• 11 Replies

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
Runner Beans
« on: February 21, 2013, 10:18 »
The received wisdom from my generation [old] and older, is grow runners in an established made for purpose site year after year.  It has served me well.
Now I find that the advice is to rotate.
What is the experience of those who have followed the new advice after years of the traditional method please ?
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Runner Beans
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 10:45 »
I  move my runners around but Dad always grew his up the same South facing fence, they cropped well for him, and do so for me  :D

Mum always added horse manure to the soil there, so I suppose the nutrient levels remained high despite not rotating;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:56 »
Although I grow mine in the same place each year, I re-dig the trench, part-fill with compost and back-fill with soil from an adjacent area, which is more or less the equivalent of rotating anyway.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:04 »
me,,same place each year with lots of horse muck

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 11:30 »

we have our beans in a different patch every year at the lottie but the "old boys" don't seem to bother, they keep them in the same place each year, just easier I guess  ;)

snow white

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 14:23 »
I intend to rotate them around but my dad (known as Mr Bean) (not THE Mr Bean of course!) used to grow them in the same area year in year out for donkeys years.  Always had masses of runner beans.  He put cow manure on the area every winter.  No problems at all.

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 15:33 »
Is there anybody who has changed methods and can compare results ?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 15:50 »
I'm not sure that many people will be able to answer that Tom, mainly because most experienced growers will look after the bed properly even if they repeat-grow, and inexperienced growers may be growing in less than ideal conditions whether rotating or not (I suppose by definition they are unlikely to have tried both methods either.)  ;)

The weather will always be a big factor affecting both when they start to crop and the eventual yield - it's not always easy determining what else is making (or not making) a difference in any given year.

HuwG

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 17:52 »
Runners are hungry and thirsty crops. If you use the same position remove some of the soil and replace itch plenty of muck. I have read that the roots can be over wintered in position for an early crop

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 18:33 »
Runners are hungry and thirsty crops. If you use the same position remove some of the soil and replace itch plenty of muck. I have read that the roots can be over wintered in position for an early crop

They are indeed perennial but don't like cold wet ground. Not sure they would survive unless you dug them up like dahlias  :unsure:

In which case you might as well grow new plants from seed  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 18:54 »

They can! Several years ago I only had one dalek compost bin so chucked a load of veg waste on top of where I'd been growing my runner beans - having cleared the pile away in spring I was very surprised to see each old root sprouting multiple new shoots.

Unfortunately I needed the space for something else so dug them up, but I did subsequently try to overwinter tubers in the shed, but alas the frost and probably the damp did for them.  :(

Don't think they would survive winter in the ground in the UK without going to a lot of trouble - it's far easier to treat them as annuals as Sunny has suggested.   :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 18:57 »
They survived under that insulating blanket of compost  :lol: :lol:

If anyone wanted to try this, sounds like it could be successful  :nowink:

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
French beans and runner beans

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 13:19
by Thrift

Page created in 0.737 seconds with 38 queries.